Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib done too fast

Sun Devil Brett
Sun Devil Brett Posts: 440
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys, I put on a 16 lb rib roast, cut in half, around 10am, got temp stable at 240 242, it's quarter to 1 and my internal temps are reading 118 and 112. What if anything can I do to slow the cook . If I take off then put back on closer to the party (4 oclock) will it dry it out. Can I pull and wrap similar to a butt, I'm at a loss. Thanks for any guidance, Brett

Comments

• BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    Sun Devil Brett,[p][p]It's the cutting of the roast in half that has accelerated the cook times. So now you are really cooking 2-8 pounders to about 20 minutes per pound or 160 minutes. So your temps are about right. Were it me I'd shut the egg down completely and let it cook out. Maybe even consider removing the roast from the Egg and place in a 200 or so degree oven. I would not wrap as that will accelerate the cook. Also with a roast that big to let it stand for an hour or even more will be fine. If she grows cold just heat up au jus and pour over the meat. In my opinion You're in good shape..

• BYC, Thanks I'm taking your advice, I was going to do reverse sear, Do you think if I do that then pull and put in low oven i'd be o.k.? If not i'll just pull. Thanks again, Brett

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Sun Devil Brett,[p]Might be too late but . . .[p]I agree pretty much with SDB. I'd pull it at the 125-130 range and just tent with foil (put the foil over to retard cooling but don't wrap tightly.) You can probably do your sear also - that won't really accelerate the cooking much.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    BYC,[p]I'm wondering if a 200° oven is too high? Mine goes down to 160° or something. I'm thinking really let it creep up to just shy of the finish temp, and then combine that with a good rest in a dry cooler before any end crisping. [p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • BYC
    Sun Devil Brett,[p]Can't answer that because I've never done this reverse sear thing I am hearing about. I sear on the front end by ranking the EGG to 500 and let her rest down much like conventional oven cooking a prime rib.[p]I have cranked up the broiler just before serving and let the broiler hit it for a couple of minutes for the sear factor just before pulling to rest. The flavor of the egg is already in the meat and the broiler allows me to control the heat only on the outside of the meat. If I were going to do the reverse sear on the Egg I'd pull the meat until the dome temp reaches whatever temp you want to sear at. Otherwise you're fast cooking the inside while the temps are rising. One other thing we always do is to leave the egg going up until servine the meat. That way if it's to rare because of pulling early you can always throw individual portions back on[p]It's 3:08 here so if you're 4:00 server time is Central or East times you're in great shape.[p][p]
  • BYC
    thirdeye,[p]even better---low and slow--hot finish

• Haggis, Thanks to everyone with ideas, I'll use a little of each and let you know what happens, If anyone is ever in the Phx. area let me know, I owe you a cold one or two. Thanks again Brett

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Haggis,
    140 would satisfy the food safety police

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BYC
    stike,[p]140 is a good temp because it allows for an edgy rare and you can always upcook..

• My oven goes down to 150 degrees and I've had the same problem you're facing, so I just put in the oven as low as it would go. Restaurants will hold roasts for a day or more like that.
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    stike,[p]I understand that the food cops get upset at it but 140 is absurdly high to remove a roast when trying to reach a medium rare. And he was talking about a sear afterwards. [p]Quite frankly, when I pull stuff at 125 (and yes, my thermopen is accurate) my spouse gets annoyed that its almost medium after a rest. [p]Or maybe my medium rare is your rare . . . [p][p]

• BYC,[p]Do NOT Stop the cook and try to restart later![p]You're begging to get everyone who goes near that roast VERY SICK.
    I wouldn't go near it without biohazard gloves to throw it out![p]Cook it at least to 145*, then you can worry about how to hold it 'till later.
    My oven has a warming setting at 145*. It aslo has a warming drawer underneath that will hold at that temp.[p]You can put towels in the bottom of a cooler that are soaked with boiling hot water. Put a dry towel on top of the wet ones and then a shallow roasting pan. Double wrap the roast in heavy duty aluminum foil and place on top of the towels.[p]There are many options, but stopping the cook in the middle to finish later is NOT one of them.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Haggis,
    i posted under the wrong spot. he was asking what temp to hold the roast at in an oven.... 140 would be as low as you could go and keep the food-police happy, although the roast WOULD continue to cook, minimally.[p]
    it's no good pulling a roast at 135 internal and then holding it in an oven that was at 200 or 250 (to keep it 'warm').

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante