Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best way to Smoke a Brisket on a BGE

Options
Tom
Tom Posts: 189
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need To know the Best way to Smoke a 10 pound Brisket on the large BGE. I am going to Smoke one for the first time for the superbowl. Please help.
thanks,
Tom

Comments

• DavidR
    DavidR Posts: 178
    Options
    Tom,[p]You got some big brass ones if you're gonna entertain your Super Bowl guests with a "first time on the egg" brisket. That's a risk that you might want to reconsider. It's not a forgiving piece of meat like a pork butt. If you do just one little thing wrong, the meat will be tougher than a saddle, or drier than a popcorn fart. [p]I'd do a practice cook, first. Then, decide if you want to take chances.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Tom,
    A good brisket is not hard to make if you can maintain your temps and resist opening the lid. Trim the fat cap to approximately an eighth of an inch thick. Hopefully you have one side covered with a nice fat cap. Trim the big hunks of fat from the other side....no biggy if you leave some on. Coat it with a generous coat of your favorite rub, and let stand for a few hours. coat with mustard if you feel like it. Load up the firebox full into the fire ring area, and get you a fire going in the center of your lump. Once you get to a dome of about 180, throw on a couple chunks of pecan, or whatever, and then your indirect setup. Best if the meat is elevated 4-8 inches over the drip pan. No water necessary in the drip pan....it will greatly lower your cooking level temps.[p]Once the smoke startes to thin out a tad, and is a nice blue haze, add your brisket, and slowly bring your dome temp up to 250. Your cooking level will probably settle in at 10-20 degrees cooler than the dome temp. Anywhere from 220-240 at the cooking level is good. It will probably take 15-20 hours for that 10 pounder. Once you get to an internal temp of 185 or 190, stick a fork in it...or your polder probe if you want. If it slides in and out with very little resistance, pull it off, wrap in foil and rest for 30-60 minutes. Slice against the grain at a slight angle. Don't git much better. [p]I say go for it. What a great Superbowl meal.
    Beers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Rick
    Rick Posts: 45
    Options
    Tom,[p]Go for it. I just got my BGE and it was the first thing I cooked. I followed the recipe in the BGE book, "Unbeliveable Brisket" and trust me it was![p]I don't think I would do a 10 lb'er though. Ours was 3 pounds and took just @ 3 hours to cook @ 300 deg.[p]Why don't you get a few 3 lb pieces and do them one at a time?[p]Enjoy!

• Marv
    Marv Posts: 177
    Options
    Rick,[p] To shorten cooking time, just cut the 10 lb'er into 2 or 3 peices. Then cook 1-1/4 hrs. per lb for largest peice. So you would be looking at about 3-1/2 to 4 hrs to cook a 3 lb peice.[p]Marv
    [ul][li][url=http://http:www.marvsbbq.com]Marv's Marvlus Pit Bar-B-Q[/url][/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Howdy Marv,
    Can you share your technique for cooking a 3 pound chunk of brisket in 3-1/2 to 4 hours?? I have not been able to get a good one in under 8 hours yet...even with small flats.[p]Your bbq experience is appreciated here.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Tom
    Tom Posts: 189
    Options
    Nature Boy and All,[p] Thank you for all your help. [p]

• Marv
    Marv Posts: 177
    Options
    Nature Boy, I apologize, I was trying to be funny. We do know however, that a smaller piece will cook in less time than a 10 lb'er. But you are right, 3 hrs is not near enough time. A 3 lb piece would need to cook for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hrs per pound. Or 3-3/4 to 4-1/2 hours.
    Again, I am sorry if I mislead anyone.[p]Marv

• Marv,
    I would have to agree with NB, a 3 pound brisket to break it down will take longer that 4 1/2 hours. If you foil you may get closer but when a brisket is that small the normal times don't apply.
    Jim[p]

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Jim Minion,
    I am finding that briskets tend to be more of a thickness thing than a weight thing. The little guys benefit from 8 or 10 hours too.[p]Slice it thin, and fold onto skewers, and 3 or 4 hours might do it![p]How much snow did yall end up getting near Seattle?[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy,
    Only a few inches of snow but it's staying cold.[p]The thickness of the flat does effect the lenght of the cook. The contective tissue takes time to break down and 3 to 4 hours will not normally get the job done.
    Avg time to get BBQ done should be use as a guide only and understand it can very greatly based on the thickness and fat content.
    Jim

• Tractor
    Tractor Posts: 288
    Options
    DavidR,
    That is a GOOD point. I've had great luck with my boston butts, but the one time I tried brisket...it was 'okay' but had could use some improvement.