Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lasagna Recipe

hayhonker
hayhonker Posts: 576
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Our Christmas tradition is to start the day with mimosas and bacon/egg/cheese muffins
We'll snack throughout the day and finish up with this lasagna.
This is bar-none my favorite lasagna recipe, tweaked over the years by my mother-in-law.
She passed last year but this recipe will live on through us and my parents who are also making it every December.[p]I can't wait to see how cooking this on the egg improves an already wonderful flavor. I'll post pics in a couple weeks when I make it.[p]
2 pounds sweet Italian sausage
1 clove minced garlic
1 TB whole basil
1 18oz and 1 28oz diced tomatoes
1 18oz can tomato paste
1 8oz can tomato sauce
16oz lasagna noodles
2 eggs
32oz fresh Ricotta cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan/Romano mix cheese
2 TB parsley flakes
1 ts salt
1/2 ts pepper
1 pound mozzarella cheese, sliced very thin[p]brown meat slowly, spoon off excess fat
add:
1 clove minced garlic
1 TB whole basil
1 18oz and 1 28oz diced tomatoes
1 18oz can tomato paste
1 8oz can tomato sauce
simmer uncovered 30 minutes stirring occasionally
cook noodles until tender, drain and rinse
beat eggs, add remaining ingredients except mozzarella[p]layer half the noodles in 13x9x2inch baking dish
spread with half the ricotta filling
add half the mozzarella cheese and half the meat sauce.
Repeat.
Bake at 375 for an hour.
let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    hayhonker,[p]That sounds like a great recipe. Thanks for sharing.[p]
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    hayhonker,
    Sounds yummy.
    Our Christmas tradition is brunch. Santa in the morning then the family comes over for brunch. This year we are going to the inlaws for brunch.[p]I usually work Christmas Day so I can have the Eve off. Slow night in the hospital and after all the kids and fuss I'm usually ready to go sit and stare at the clock at work LOL[p]H

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    hayhonker, Sounds great! Thank you! Just one question... When you say whole basil, I assume you mean fresh cut or chopped?[p]Rascal

• Rascal,
    That's a good question. I am going to buy fresh leaves and chop real fine. The recipe just says whole basil, but I've never found a whole leaf in a bite.

• hayhonker,[p]Great recipe. I'll file it away. Love homemade lasagne.[p]For a nice lasagne change of pace, try replacing the noodles with squid tubes cut to open flat and the tentacles spread out on top and throughout. The squid tubes are very similar to pasta and are low carb.[p]Really good, that is if you like squid.
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    hayhonker,[p]Same here with the lasagna. Being that my ancestry is 100% Sicilian Italian. I can't ever remember a family holiday dinner without having lasagna. Easter Sunday, Thanksgiving, Christmas, we gotta have lasangna. And don't forget the cannolis for dessert.
    In fact growing up as a child I thought everybody ate lasagna on holidays and ate Red Gravy and macaroni (spaghetti, Ziti, shells etc..) every Sunday. Many years ago before my wife and I were married and the first time I ate Christmas dinner with her family who is German. I was shocked to find out that they didn't have lasagna. What the heck!!?? You gotta be kidding me!!?? I was serious ...I really couldn't believe it :)

"I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Rascal
    Tiger Tony, Oh well, there's always Stouffer's in a pinch! 8 - )[p]Rascal

• Tiger Tony,
    Living with a 100pct Sicilian, I hear you. I haven't a drop of Italian in me, but my mom's lasagna was certified 'authentic' by friends from Rome.[p]This is a vegetarian version, not by conviction, just it's a non-meat type.[p]1 lb lasagna noodles
    1 lb ricotta
    8 oz mozzarella, freshly grated
    8 oz parmesan, grated
    Tomato gravy of choice: homemade or cheat with Victoria's basil tomato or any without sweetening in it.
    Basil leaves
    Chopped flat parsley
    nutmeg, fresh grated
    pepper, fresh ground:
    3 eggs[p]Method:
    Make a mixture of the ricotta, mozzarella and most of the parmesan but reserve some for sprinkling on top. Beat in the eggs. Add dash of fresh nutmeg, the pepper to taste and a 1/4 cup each chopped fresh parsley and basil. [p]In a lasanga pan, layer boiled noodles, sauce and the cheese mixture, topping with sauce and some parmesan.[p]Bake 375 one hour or until knife comes out relatively cleanly. Let sit 15 minutes to 30 minutes before serving (this should be no problem for Egg cookers!) reheats nicely.

• TigerTony
    dover_gal,
    Thanks for the recipe!........I just printed it and Hayhonker's lasagna recipe and added it to my file.
    I won't cheat with the red gravy, I'll make it just like my momma.[p]

New Orleans

• Rascal
    dover_gal, Thank you so much! We all gather for Christmas, and one of my nieces doesn't eat meat. Now I can bake this dish (which she can enjoy) and serve the meatballs, sausage & all on the side for the rest of us![p]Rascal

• Rascal,
    As much as I like meat, I have to say the texture is more pleasing in this version. You can, as you point out, put meatballs and sausage on the side. Confirmed ANTI-vegetarian activists can mix these in to make the dish religiously proper.

• Tiger Tony,
    Same thing at our holidays. I remember my wife's first Thanksgiving with my family. We started out with speghetti and meatballs. So much food on the table we couldn't fit the turkey. It was in an oven in the garage as the one in the kitchen and the one in the utility room was being used for different dishes. After consuming a whole plate of S/M I thought I had found a real winner. A girl who actually will eat around others. When she found out we also had turkey she nearly fainted. "I can't believe you let me eat a whole plate of S/M knowing there was a turkey, I didn't smell or see a turkey." I said "It is thanksgiving what else would you have". You would think after 18 years she would forgive me but NOOOOO.... My fault she didn't have turkey.

• hayhonker,
    Thank you for the recipe. I will definetly try it.[p]Mike

• TigerTony
    Mike in Abita,[p]That's a great story! LOL!!!
    I can really relate to that.[p]I grew up eating big Italian family Sunday dinners, our whole day evolved around eating. I'd wake up in the morning to the smell of red gravy. It was great! My mom was a wonderful cook she loved to feed people and she always had way way too much food. Plates, bowls and platters of food everywhere...[p]I remember the very first time I ate dinner with my wifes family. It was Sunday and they served mashed potatoes, peas, fried pork chops and a dinner roll. I was hungry I immediately ate the food on my plate in just a few minutes. I was still hungry looking around at everybody else nibbling at their food. I'm thinking where is the rest of the pork chops and what about another dinner roll. Come to find out that when they cook they figure one serving for each person. One pork chop and one dinner roll! Talk about weird![p]

New Orleans

• Professor Dawghair,
    I like squid and to try new things. Any guide as to how much squid is needed for a pan of lasagna? Do you pre cook the squid, or clean and layer in raw? Any other changes to the recipe?
    This is a very interesting idea. Thanks for sharing it.
    Al