Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mad Max Rolled Flank Steaks - Direct or Indirect

Options
Cornbread Willy
Cornbread Willy Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I rolled up 2 beautiful flankers last night that are waiting in the fridge for me to throw them on the Egg when I get home. Do you guys cook these direct or indirect, or both? I'm bringing them to a party down the street that starts at 6:30, but we probably won't eat for another hour. My goal is to take them off right at 6:30 - think they'll still be good in an hour? All tips appreciated.[p]Thanks!!

Comments

• Cornbread Willy,
    Thank you for asking this! I am cooking a couple of these on Sunday for a holiday luncheon Monday. I was also wondering about smoke, has anyone added any?[p]Thanks!

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    vert.jpg
    <p />Cornbread Willy,
    Can't remember, but looks like I did the sear then finished them with a drip pan like prime rib (as per Max's instructions).[p]Happy Holidays!
    Mike[p]rolls.jpg[p]horiz.jpg

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Cornbread Willy,[p]You can do these on a grid over a drip pan (sort of indirect) or even in a pan - that's what I seem to recall Max suggesting. Because there's so much stuff in them and they are thick, I don't think direct works too well - the inside wouldn't get cooked.[p]I think Max's recipe, or at least some similar recipe, says that they can (should?) be served cold. I've not done that but it tells me there shouldn't be a problem with the delay you will have. I'd also think you could pull them a touch early and foil them - they'd likely last an hour without a problem and finish in the foil.[p]
  • Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Options
    Lawn Ranger,
    Pin Wheels...locally called "Poor Boy Fillets." Year ago I discovered a butcher here in Metro Kansas City who introduced them to me.[p]I have them made with flank steak. They are a regular on our family menu.[p]I grill them direct.[p]

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Cornbread Willy,
    if you are doing the whole rolls (as opposed to individiual pin wheels), do them indirect at 375 degrees dome temp. .. reserve a little of the marinade and drizzle it over the rolls about halfway through the cook ...they should take about 40 minutes or so ....