Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meats taste too smoky.Is there a way to cook steaks with a chargrilled taste?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The steaks taste smoky. Is therte a way to cook meats on the egg without the smoked taste?

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Jennie:[p]You may have been placing meat on the grill with the coals not completely going. If this is the case, make sure the complete firebox of lump is going good before you put on the steaks. Other than this you may just be super sensitive to smoke.
  • Jennie,
    I'm not an expert or anything, but my observations have been that the lump really smokes down around 200°. Get the fire temp (dome temp) up beyond that before putting the meat on. All charcoal, lump or briquettes, put out some smoke though at whatever temp. Check out the recipe section for times/temps on searing a steak. But be careful of flashbacks and DO NOT wear a nylon coat while cooking -- grin![p]Kelly Keefe
    Jefferson City, MO

• Jennie,
    If you are doing steaks, the vanilla method is to get the egg up to 700 or 750 degrees and sear the steak on each side for about 2 - 3 minutes. Then you close down the top and bottom air vents and let the steaks cook for some period of time, depending on the thickness of the steak and how you want it done. If you do the steak this way with no smoking woods on the fire, you should get a nice pleasant bit of smoke flavor, but not much. Tell us how you are cooking the steaks and we'll see what we can recommend.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Jennie,[p]I tend to agree with you, I avoid most of the smoke and enjoy just a little. Seldom do I add extra wood, just for pork mainly anymore. Avoid "dwelling" the steaks and just keep flipping until they are done. Fires in the grilling range, 350+ deg, do not create much smoke at all, but closing up the Egg and "dwelling" does and that might be the problem you are having. [p]Good luck - enjoy[p]Tim
  • Tim M,
    Also, fresh lump puts off more "smoke" than lump which is left over from previous fires. So, piling on a bunch of fresh lump should add more smokey flavor. If you can plan ahead and be using old lump from a previous fire, it might help.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz,[p]As long as there is no drippings on it from say a sloppy rib cook. I just thought I would add that as I had cookies come out tasting like ribs and or the sauce before. [p]So, I say ... second run "clean" lump. [p]I keep some in a seperate container just for these special clean burn situations like bread, cookies etc. where no smoke is desired. [p]Happy Egging.. BB

• BB,
    You say you had cookies come out tasting like ribs? So that's a problem? :-)[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz,[p]Well, if you like.... give me your address and the next time I make some I will send them your way :) [p]Happy Egging.... BB