Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First real baby back rib success! [Simple, too]

Prof Dan
Prof Dan Posts: 339
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As a result of all of the eggspert advice available on this forum, I have finally nailed baby back ribs. This evening, my family told me that these were the best ribs they had ever eaten in their lives, high praise indeed.[p]Here's how I did it: first, I removed the papery membrane on the back of the ribs, using my fingers and a pair of needle nose pliers. That was the hardest part. Next, I rubbed the ribs with a mix of brown sugar, salt, herbs, garlic powder, chili powder, and cumin, moistened slightly with apple cider vinegar to form a paste. I put the ribs in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for a couple of days; probably one day would have been enough.[p]Five hours before dinner, I lit my Egg and brought it up to 275 degrees, which took about a half-hour. I added a couple of chunks of oak, each about the size of my fist. I set three firebricks flat onto the grill. On top of the firebricks, I put a large pan lined with foil and half-filled with water. On top of the pan, I put another grill. On top of the grill, I put a homemade "rib cage," which just supports the slabs of ribs. I then leaned the slabs up against the "rib cage." [Setting up the grill took less time than writing about it.][p]I left it for three hours at 275. An hour before dinner, I slathered on a commercial barbecue sauce, using a pastry brush. (Not too thick.) I then left it for another hour at 275.[p]The ribs were moist, meaty, tender, and smoky, but not burnt. Also, a lot of the fat had dripped off into the pan.[p]Again, thanks to all of you for your collective wisdom.

Comments