Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg is in the mail

Options
Frank from Houma
Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
XLBGE should arrive taday or tomorrow. Been lurkin here for 10 days or so and have to say this is one of the most informative, and entertaining, forums I have been on. I have already bookmarked several sites and have given my bride of 34 years an extensive Christmas list.[p]I have my redwood on standby to build a table but wanted to check some preferences. Looked at all the tables on Naked Whiz site - real nice! I have a nice piece of granite a friend gave to me that would make a four foot table and I have some corian left over from a kitchen redo. Neither piece is big enough to make a 5 to 6 foot table. I was thinking about making a small table for the egg (4" clearance front, back and one side, and 12" clearance on one side) and covering it with the corian. For this small of a table, will the center of gravity be too high and therefore should spread it out a little more? Then I would make a separate 4' table with cabinets, drawers, etc. and cover it with the granite. Both tables will be on casters. Am I messing up building separate tables? Any thoughts would be appreciated.[p]Geaux Tigers

Comments

• billt
    billt Posts: 225
    Options
    Frank in Houma,
    do you have room for an L shaped table? 1 part corian 1 granite. i have a hunk of granite that i intend to set on top of the wooden table rather than have the whole table top made of rock. good luck post pics if you can .

• hank
    hank Posts: 84
    Options
    Frank,
    You can't have too much workspace, I say. I had my large Egg in a table for two years (see picture on the Whiz's photo page labeled "Hank"), took it out to do some reinforcement work and put it back in the Egg Nest while I worked. After a week and a couple of cooks, I found that I liked having the Egg a bit more mobile in the Nest as well as having the extra workspace on the table. I ended up laying a nice piece of Georgia marble over the egg cut-out. I put the folding tables back on the egg and now I have a zippy little egg with minimal workspace when I need it, and I can wheel it over to the table for bigger cooks. The big table also makes a pretty handy serving table for buffets and such.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Welcome to Eggdome, Frank. You did good for yourself when you decided to get an Egg. I completely understand your Eggcitement.[p]You are among a growing number of Cajuns who find the Egg a great device for outdoor cooking (something you South Louisiana folks are well known for). If you are anything like the Cajuns I know you will be entertaining a lot, so the Big Green Egg is going to be your ticket to Cooking Stardom among your fishing buddies.[p]In designing your table, keep in mind that you will likely start to think "second Egg" within a year or two at the most. If you plan the table right you won't have any trouble modifying it to accommodate the second Egg. Also, include plenty of storage room for Eggcessories. They tend to grow in number very quickly, but that's a good thing.[p]My Sweetie and I went to LSU so we appreciate the color of your boat. Geaux Tigers...[p]We know you have a camera so keep us posted with plenty of photos.[p]Spring "Tiger Egger" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA[p]

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Frank in Houma,
    WELCOME! Great choice on purchasing an egg. I started out with a table, and then started using the inside of my gas grill for storage for my eggcessaries(it rarely sees any food these days). I started building an outdoor kitchen because I outgrew my table so quickily. Make sure you figure in possible expansion when you build, so that your table can be part of your outdoor cooking set up. My guess is after a short learning curve, you'll be cranking out some great food. Once the neighbors find out how good your food is, you'll also need to invest in a fence. Haha.
    Ask any questions here, but really read the manual and watch the DVD, it'll save you a lot mistakes up front. Purchase a small note pad and record your cooks; time, temp, ingredients, type of wood, anything of interest to your cook, it will be invaluable later when trying to make adjustments or when trying to duplicate something that was perfect. Once again welcome! And post some pics!
    Big'un

• Frank from Houma
    Options
    Big'un, Spring Chicken and bill,[p]Thanks for feedback. I'm looking forward to firing it up.[p]