Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reheating cooked ham in the Egg?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All,[p]Anyone try smoking a cooked spiral-sliced ham in the egg to reheat it? Last time I did it at 325 in a Drip pan until the meat thermometer read 140 degrees. It got a great smokey flavor. The only difficulty I had was that after we took the slices out of the ham, the slices would dry out real quick. It would help more if we took 2 pieces at a time. But it seems that individual slices when hot will dry out way too fast.[p]Anyone have some tips to avoid this? Or in fact, any Ham tips on the egg for pre-cooked hams?[p]Thanks!

Comments

• Marv
    Marv Posts: 177
    Jamesw,
    I do both fresh and pre-cooked hams and have done a sprial ham once. You are right they do dry out fairly fast even done in the kitchen oven.
    We use the solid unsliced pre-cooked ham mostly now with great results.
    You do however need to lower the temp down to around 200-225, add wood chunks for flavor and cook for about 1 hour per lb.[p]Marv
    www.marvsbbq.com

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Marv,[p]I have been wanting to do ham in the egg for quite some time. How about expanding on your thoughts a little further as to what you do to these hams. Glaze, indirect method, internal temp., etc.[p]Many thanks for for sharing.[p]Bob

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Bob:[p]I get whole-precooked hams and smoke them on the cooker to an internal of 150º or so. I take my time doing this by heating them direct at 200º to 230º dome. Half a ham would be quicker, but I buy whole hams on sale and they are heavily discounted compared to the halves.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    djm5x9,Hi,
    May I ask if the hams you purchase are bone in or boneless?????? Does the second heat/smoke cycle produce more of a salt taste?????
    Thanks for your advice,
    New Bob

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    New Bob:[p]My experience is with bone-in hams. I have never had a problem with them tasting too salty.

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    djm5x9,
    Thank you kind sir.
    New Bob

• Grumpa
    djm5x9,[p]Thanks for the tips. Hope you and the family are doing well.[p]Bob

• Marv
    Bob,[p]I have used this on both the bone in and boneless:[p]5 tlbs. fresh ground (I bought a new elec. coffee girnder for this purpose)
    1/4 C. turbinado sugar (it dosen't burn like reg. brown sugar.)
    3 tlbs. paprika
    2 tlbs. salt (omit if using a precooked ham)
    1 tlbs. dry mustard
    2 tsp. onion powder
    1 tsp. cayenne[p]6-8 lb. ham (fresh or precooked)[p]Picnic mop (optional)[p]remaining rub
    3 C. cider vinegar
    1 C. water
    1 Med. onion, minced
    1/4 C. fresh ground black pepper
    2 tlbs. salt (omit if using precooked ham)
    1 tlbs. dry mustard
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tsp. cayenne[p] Night before rub ham well with about 1/2 the rub. Put in plastic bag, wrap tight and refrigerate over night.
    Before you BBQ rub down with another coat of rub. Let sit at room temp. for about 30-60 min.
    Bring smoker to 200-225 place ham on and smoke for 1-1/2 hrs. per lb. or until internal temp. is 180.[p]For the mop, stir remaining rub together with rest of mop ingredients and warm the mixture over low heat. then baste (mop) every hour or so while cooking.[p]Makes for some goooood eatin'![p]Marv
    www.marvsbbq.com[p]

• Grumpa
    Hi Marv,[p]Thanks for taking the time to post this wonderful looking stuff. I have printed it out and I'm dying to give it a try. I will let you know how I do with it.[p]Best to you and yours.[p]Bob

• Marv,[p]Hi Marv,[p]I read at the USDA site, as well as the packaging, that the "Minimum safe temperature" to reheat a ham at is 325 degrees F, to an internal of 140 degrees. This is for a Pre-cooked ham. (Because bacteria multiplies quickly at the "Middle" temperatures.[p]Now, I assume that if it is an uncooked ham, where you must cook it to 160degrees, you can heat is slowly (225), until it hits 160 -- at which point all the bacteria die.[p]Are you saying it is still safe to "Smoke" the ham at 225 until 140? Or do I have to go to the 160 temp that raw hams need to hit. Also, then, if I hit 160, won't it dry out even faster?[p]
  • Marv
    Jamesw,
    I use the 225-250 heat range and heat to the 160 degree. With a water pan or mopping every hour it stays moist and not dry out. the idea is to add MORE smoke flavor and this works fairly well.[p]Marv