Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help! Quick!

Gloria
Gloria Posts: 161
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Help! Can anyone out there tell me how long to cook beef ribs? This will be only our 3rd time to cook in the large BGE and I thought I would probably have to cook them for several hours but a friend said that I should only cook them as long as one would a steak, for 5 minutes at 500 degrees. Is this correct? Have been marinating them in a wet marinade since late morning and will dry them off before putting them on. Should I cook them directly on the grill or should I put them in the inverted v-grill, or would it be better to cook them on the thingy with the holes in it? This forum is great.

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    gloria, Five minutes at 500. I wouldn't do it. I would indirect at 250 for 3 hours. Depends a lot on how meaty they are and how many you are cooking. I am getting ready to put on a 1 1/2 inch KC STRIP for 10 minutes at 750 or better. Good luck.[p]CWM

• Car Wash Mike, double your time and that would be more like it. 3 hours and they're going to turn out like shoe leather... Beef ribs take a lot longer to cook than say BB ribs...

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Scottie, Again, how meaty? The ones I get up here are so sparse in meat that they don't take very long to cook. Just trying to help. It sounds like she wants to eat them tonight. Personally, I would have started my cook about noon. [p]CWM
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    gloria,
    I have not cooked them yet, but I want to. From what I have been seeing, somewhere in the 5 to 6 hour range sounds right.[p]Prime Rib benefits from a higher temperature cook, but not beef ribs.[p]Some one with more info should be along soon, like the thread below.[p]Hope this Helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    gloria,
    I hope this comes through for you.

[ul][li]beef ribs[/ul]
  • RhumAndJerk
    Painter,
    Man does look good!
    R&J

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    gloria,[p]Your instinct is correct. Beef ribs have a high portion of fat in them and really benefit from a long, low temperature cook. The fat will mostly render and the greasiness will disappear.[p]I like to cook them direct, standing in an inverted v-rack, using a dome temp of 225-250°F. Cook for at least 6 hours, longer is better 7-8 hours being nice for us. Check them every hour and move/flip them to provide even cooking.[p]We like a 2-3 hour marinade in pineapple juice. The taste is still noticable in the finished rib, but we eat them without sauce when cooked this way. A nice change of pace.[p]Best of luck,
    Spin[p]

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Spin,[p]I have to know and have not done them. Are they equal to prok spares?

• Marv
    Marv Posts: 177
    gloria,
    Something I do for a long cook such as ribs or brisket and pork butt is to 'mop' them with a marinade of some kind. A simple one is the basic beer mop and one I use often:
    12 oz. beer
    1/2 C.vinegar
    1/2 C. water
    1/4 C. Oil such as canola or corn oil
    1/2 med. onion chopped
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 tlbs. worcestershire sauce
    1 tlbs. your favorite rub[p]Combine ingredients in sauce pan, heat and mop warm[p]Marv
    marvsbbq.com[p][p]

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    MAC,[p]Beef ribs are quite different than pork ribs. They are a long cook for the results, but a nice treat. As beef spares are shy in the meat department, I would figure about 1.5-2 times the raw weight of pork ribs to produce the same amount of eatable meat. The website posted below in this thread gives some good help.[p]I encourage you to give them a try.[p]Spin
  • Marv
    Marv Posts: 177
    MAC,[p]a lot of people like beef ribs and I would suggest you try them and decide for yourself which you like better.[p]In my catering I rarely get asked for beef ribs, it is always pork. I think just because the beef are a stronger taste for most palates and have less meat for the money.[p]Marv

• Gloria
    Gloria Posts: 161
    Hey, thanks to all you guys for your quick response. And yep, I do want to eat them tonight so have thrown those suckers in a dutch oven and am simmering them on the stovetop and then when they are almost completely tender, I will throw them onto the BGE for that nice smokey flavor. Being from the region of pork barbecue fanatics, I should have know that a long, slow cook was called for. Again, thanks.

• RhumAndJerk
    gloria,
    Just as final note, I read through as many Beef Rib Recipes as I could find last night. All of them indicated a slow smoking for at least 5 hours except one. The last recipe that I check talked about cooking over hot coals for 10 minutes a side, in other words just like a steak.[p]The next time that you have beef ribs, cut a couple of bones off the end and try it both ways.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Spin,
    Thanks guys. I'll try them. You always have the answer.

• gloria,Korean short ribs are the only ones cooked at a high temp for a few minutes.These are uniquely cut by a Korean butcher.You actually get a 'chain' of small( 2-3 inches) individual pieces of steak ( tenderloin linked to flank linked to sirloin linked to new york linked to a piece of rib).So- this is very different than the membranous ribs which require a long cook time.