Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Healthy Snacks For Party

Options
Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been telling my Heart Center exercise class about Big Green Eggs for a year and now I've got a chance to show 'em something I cooked just for them. They are having their annual holiday party for staff and patients this Wednesday. Anyone who wants to bring something can do so. I want to bring something that is cooked on the Egg and is as close to being heart-healthy as possible. You guys have cooked up some mighty fine snack items over the years so I'm turning to you for ideas. [p]It will be a serve-yourself event and the snacks will probably have to sit out for three or more hours. Something really tasty and healthy would be great.[p]I know you guys will come through. Pictures would be great.[p]Spring "My Little Pea Must Be Napping In A Dark Corner Of My Brain Hole" Chicken
Spring Texas USA[p]

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]Here are three ideas with all the numbers at the end of each recipe. These could easily be modified for cooking on the Egg.[p]If all else fails, there are always jello shots.[p]~thirdeye~[p]
    LEMON PEPPER MUSHROOMS
    Serves 8 - 1 mushroom per serving

Vegetable oil spray[p]8 large fresh mushrooms[p]1 tablespoon chopped chives[p]2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice[p]1 tablespoon light reduced-calorie mayonnaise[p]1 tablespoon acceptable vegetable oil[p]1 1/2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning[p]Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly spray a shallow baking pan with vegetable oil spray.[p]Wipe mushrooms with a clean, damp cloth. Remove stems and set mushroom caps aside. Discard lower half of stems and chop upper half of stems very finely.[p]In a small bowl, combine chopped stems with remaining ingredients. Stir to mix well.[p]Stuff mushroom caps with mixture. Place stuffed mushrooms in prepared pan and bake 8 to 10 minutes. [p]Serve immediately.[p]Calories: 26
    Protein: 0 g
    Carbohydrates: 1 g
    Total Fat: 2 g
    Saturated Fat: 0 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g
    Monounsaturated Fat: 1 g
    Cholesterol: 1 mg
    Sodium: 12 mg [p]PARTY MIX
    Serves 14

1/4 cup acceptable margarine[p]1/2 teaspoon garlic powder[p]1/2 cup small unsalted pretzel sticks[p]1/2 cup puffed rice[p]1 cup spoon-size shredded wheat[p]1/2 cup unsalted peanuts[p]Melt margarine in non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic powder and mix well. Add remaining ingredients and toss together. Serve warm. (You could Egg these in a shallow pan)[p]For a slightly different taste, use walnuts, pecans or a mixture of nuts in place of peanuts. For a sweeter taste, use 1/4 cup raisins in place of the garlic powder.

Calories: 76 kcal
    Protein: 2 gm
    Carbohydrates: 5 gm
    Total Fat: 6 gm
    Saturated Fat: 1 gm
    Polyunsaturated Fat: 2 gm
    Monounsaturated Fat: 3 gm
    Cholesterol: 0 mg
    Sodium: 4 mg
    Potassium: 86 mg
    Calcium: 11 mg [p]
    ZESTY POTATO SKINS
    Serves 8 [p]6 medium red potatoes, baked (about 1 1/4 pounds)[p]Vegetable oil spray[p]1/2 teaspoon garlic powder[p]1/2 teaspoon chili powder[p]1/2 teaspoon ground cumin[p]1/8 teaspoon pepper[p]1 cup nonfat or low-fat cottage cheese, undrained[p](8 ounces)[p]1/2 teaspoon grated lime rind[p]1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice[p]1 teaspoon dried chives[p]1/4 teaspoon chili powder[p]24 slices black olives (4 large)[p]Preheat oven to 450° F.[p]Cut each potato in half. Scoop out the center, leaving about 1/4 inch of potato on the inside of each skin. Cut skins into quarters. Lightly spray insides of skins with vegetable oil spray. [p]In a small bowl, combine garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, cumin, and pepper. Sprinkle mixture evenly on insides of potatoes.[p]Place skins, skin side down, on a baking sheet. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until lightly browned. [p]Meanwhile, combine remaining ingredients except olives in a blender or food processor. Process until smooth. [p]Spoon about 1 teaspoon of the cottage cheese mixture on top of each potato skin and top with a slice of olive.[p]Calories: 50
    Protein: 4 g
    Carbohydrates: 8 g
    Total Fat: 0 g
    Saturated Fat: 0 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat: 0 g
    Monounsaturated Fat: 0 g
    Cholesterol: 0 mg
    Sodium: 128 mg
    [p] [p] [p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Spring Chicken,
    Smoke a fatty but try turkey sausage instead of pork.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC02741a.jpg
    <p />Spring Chicken,[p]How could I forget my favorite appetizer??? Smoked salmon is fairly heart healthy, keeps well, and delicious. Serve with some light crackers and a yogurt/dill sauce on the side.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • BluesnBBQ
    Options
    Sausage, peppers and onions (and mushrooms, if you and your guests like them). Very healthy, if you use turkey sausage. I did this last year as an appetizer when I had a family barbecue. My cousin doesn't eat red meat, so I made it (and pulled chicken to go with the pulled pork)with him in mind. [p]The way I do it is cook the sausages first (I like hot Italian turkey sausage), at around 350, turning occasionally until they're good and charred. Take the sausages out and let them sit on a plate.[p]Use a grill wok/topper to cook the vegetables. I usually toss them with olive oil and salt, or Italian dressing first. I grill them with the top open most of the time, and stir them with tongs a bunch of times. [p]Take the vegetables off, slice the sausages into rounds and mix everything together.[p]It's easy to make and very good and healthy.

• The Virginian
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    How about chicken kabobs? [p]Better, oyster or shitake mushrooms. Coat with olive oil and a dusting of Tsunami spin, grilled at low heat until done. They are incredible. Nature Boy can give you a better description, its his invention.[p]Brett

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    Thanks guys. Great ideas all. Now I've to decide. Might have wake up my little pea and get it rolling.[p]Spring "A Few Peas Short Of Having A Full Head of Brain" Chicken

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    Make a batch of Cin-chile with chicken or turkey instead of beef. -RP

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    AZRP,
    We think alike. I talked to my Sweetie about doing just that but she nixed the idea because of having to keep it hot over a three or four hour period during which time I will not be there. It was definitely on the list though.[p]Thanks[p]Spring "Chili Cinner" Chicken[p][p]

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    maybe email wise one, havent seen a post from him lately but i think he was putting a cookbook together with healthy things in it for the egg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • MasterMason
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]A favorite of ours... this can be done with chicken as well[p]Banyon Beef Squewers[p]London Broil or other lean beef sliced to about 1/4 inch thin and about 1 1/2 inch long, put 3 on each stick.[p]Marinade over night in 1 cup soy, 1 cup orange juice, 1 cup white wine, and water to cover.[p]Cook them direct till done.[p]Sauce
    Yield 2 3/4 cups
    Portion Size: 6
    Ingredients[p]1 cup Soy Sauce
    1 1/2 cups Water
    1 Tbsp. Ground Black Pepper
    3 Tbsp. Sesame Seed Oil
    1 tsp. Ground Red Pepper
    1/2 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
    1 Tbsp. Granulated Garlic
    3 Tbsp. Cornstarch
    18 one-ounce pieces Sirloin Beef Chunks
    6 Bamboo Skewers[p]Directions[p]Combine all of the ingredients above and bring to a boil, adding cornstarch to thicken. Soak the bamboo skewers in water to avoid burning. Place 3 pieces of beef on each skewer and cook on the grill 3 minutes on each side or until desired doneness. Brush with sauce and serve.[p]

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Good idea. I hope he is because the word "diet" has re-entered my air-space (seems that my light air has somehow been replaced with heavy air).[p]Since I'm prone to eat occasionally I'm told that eating certain foods will help to remove the heavy air. It might be a good idea to stay up wind from me until I'm understanding of the process LOL...[p]Thanks.[p]Spriing "Soup de Air" Chicken

• egginator
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    It'll come to you.... at about 2:00 tonight.[p]Is grilled pineapple healthy?
    Grilled tomatos?

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Egginator, For sure! Depending on your taste, submerge in an ample (and that's a lotta) vodka or rum! Stir, shake, mix, toss, swirl, inhale or gargle, but by all means, enjoy[p]Rascal