Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pellets

Jim R.
Jim R. Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Went to our local Walmart this afternoon and found all types of pellets on sale for $1.50 vs. regular price of $3.49.Haven't seen anyone post about using them,any information or suggestions?

Comments

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Jim R,[p]Do you mean the BBQers Delight wood pellets? If so, make a small foil pouch to hold them, poke a dozen holes in the top and set the pouch on lit coals. The smoke lasts maybe 30-45 minutes - fine if you're doing fish or something else that cooks relatively fast.[p]I've tried the hickory and the orange. Nice flavor from both. This brand is compressed sawdust, no fillers; not sure that's true of other brands, so check the ingredients.[p]Cathy
  • Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Cat,Orange sounds interesting, is it similar to other 'fruit' woods?[p]Mop

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Cat,
    I also use pellets to freshen up the smoke flavor of already smoked meats like sausages. However, I just toss them into the lump right before I put the meat on.[p]Nice to hear from you Cat,
    RhumAndJerk
    [p]

• Cat
    Mop,[p]The flavor is light and clean - not as rich as apple, cherry or wild plum. I tried it on salmon, and think it would be nice with other fish and poultry.[p]For me, pellets are a convenient way to sample woods I'm unlikely to encounter otherwise. But in my limited experience woods chips and chunks deliver more oomph for the buck. [p]Cathy
  • Cat
    RhumAndJerk,[p]Cool idea - thanks for the tip. I figured the foil was to keep the pellets from burning too fast.[p]Cathy
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Cat,
    I like your foil idea. I get only a couple of minutes of intense smoke, but often that is enough for smoked meats. [p]RhumAndJerk[p]

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Thank you ma'am..[p]Mop

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Cat,[p]I agree about the BBQers Delight being a good way to sample new types of wood. Central NJ is not exactly the BBQ capital of the world (though some might marvel at the 4 cookers outside of my apartment plus the 3 outside of ST's), and you often can't easily find more than mesquite and hickory in chips or chunks. I recently noticed, though, that a local Walmart had around 10 varieties of pellets in small bags that cost a buck or two. Definitely a good way to sample.[p]I definitely like chunks better for pouring on some heavy smoke, though.[p]Later,
    Cornfed

• Jim R.
    Jim R. Posts: 103
    Cat,
    Yep-BBQ DELIGHT.Picked up a sample of Apple,Cherry,Pecan and Jack Daniels.One other question!Is there no end?Food Saver,additional freezer,Char Crust,BGE accesories,spices,
    books and whatever in the next post.What Fun!!

• Cat
    Cornfed,[p]Central Park doesn't offer much in the way of smoking woods either, and the chips available here are too small and ridiculously priced. [p]I order chunks from Outdoor Home (BGE dealer in Missouri) - good size, nice variety and the shipping charges aren't too ruinous.

[ul][li]Outdoor Home[/ul]
  • hounddog
    hounddog Posts: 126
    In addition to the pellets, they sell a little round clay holder for the pellets. Do not buy it. It cracks and shatters with the first use.[p]I picked up one of those little metal boxes for chips, and i throw the pellets in there. On balance, I prefer chunks, either from peopleswoods or from walmart, but it is an economical way to try some exotic stuff. The pellets don't last very well for low and slow cooks. [p]However, from what I have learned here and from my own experience, when you are cooking in the egg, the food gets its smoke taste in the first hour, so load up then, and then forget it later. [p]Again, the pellets are fun, but they do not replace chunks of wood for my taste.