Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket too big for medium

Options
DynaGreaseball
DynaGreaseball Posts: 361
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was out of town last weekend, and visited my brother's great meat market. He has a really good butcher, and I actually got to see a whole packer cut of brisket for the first time. Now "point" and "flat" means something to me at last. Question, however, is how in the world will I fit one on my medium egg? They're big! Surely no one recommends cutting it do they? I've screwed up two flats so far. Can't find a whole packer cut in my town, but if I do, I've been thinking about trying to tackle brisket again.[p]The best recommendations from the forum which I've received so far are:[p]Choice or better
Use the whole cut (packer)
Pull at 195° or 200°--NOT 205°[p]Do I have to buy a large BGE?[p]Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    Options
    DynaGreaseball,
    I usually look for 12 lb. or so, and separate the point from the flat. Set up with platesetter legs up, flat on the grid, and point on a raised grid over that. It's a tight fit but doable with some wiggling stuff around to get the lid shut. 225-250 until the flat hits 190-195, foil-towel-cooler the flat while the point goes back on for another hour or 2. Good Stuff!
    Chris

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    DynaGreaseball,[p]you can make it fit. Brisket shrinks a good bit when cooking.[p]Lay an empty metal can - label removed of course, on its side on the grid, then lay the brisket over the top of it. The size of the can can be as large as you need to get the brisket ends to fit inside the grid. As the brisket shrinks up, remove the can and it will then lay flat until done.[p]Someone has posted a graphic of this in the past - maybe they will do it again in case my explanation makes no sense.
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Thanks guys. What great ideas! Ya just can't beat the forum!
  • DynaGreaseball,
    My last brisket was about 14 lbs. I've got a LBGE, and having not heard of the can solution, separated the point (which ended up being about 1.5#, and the flat. For what its worth, I thought they both turned out great.

• mb168
    mb168 Posts: 265
    Options
    Fidel,[p]I owned a medium for a month and I used a Vrack for both briskets and butts, it fits perfect inside the medium and gives enough bend )lik the can method you mentioned) to fit bigger pieces as well as lift it off the grate for a pie pan to sit underneath for a drip pan, I fortunately never bought th eplatesetter for the medium so this worked perfect. A packer cut is pretty big though, have to be creative.[p]Off topic Fidel, I was up your way this weekend, I wish I had just left my family and took you up on the offer to come eat, hope you cooked something good. We went to Lanier to see the lights Friday and it was obviously dark so I was wondering about that BBQ place on the left before you get there, I couldn't tell the name, all I saw in huge letters in the dark was BBQ. They any good there?
  • Fidel
    Options
    mb168,[p]I don't know which way you went in to Lanier, but I have never eaten at any cue joints up there.[p]I had a couple fine butts that I pulled off Sunday early afternoon. You should have stopped in...
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    beercanbrisket.jpg
    <p />Fidel,[p]Someone has posted a graphic of this in the past - maybe they will do it again in case my explanation makes no sense. [p]Here is that sketch....[p]I see you recommended an empty can.....Do you remember one of the "Help, my brisket won't fit" threads, when I gave my standard advice "Just put a beer can under the middle, it will shrink in a few hours"? I forget who asked for it, but the next day he wrote back saying it worked great, but next time he would use an empty one! [p]~thirdeye~[p]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Fidel
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]I do recall that thread....funny stuff.[p]Thanks for the rescue sir.