Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spiral Sliced Boneless Ham

Options
Beast
Beast Posts: 78
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was given two Spiral Sliced Boneless Hams today to cooked for a company get together on wednesday i haven't cooked any of these before and i'm looking for some assistance on how to prepare them on the egg the tag reads fully cooked and they are both 4+ pounds each thanks
Beast

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Beast,
    spriral sliced hams are fully cooked. . . just stick em on the table and let folks dig in. ..i would advise against re-heating in any way, unless you tie it up really tightly. .. heat getting in between the slices will do nothing but dry it out. . .

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    Beast,
    they are already cooked so what you are doing is heating them up, but at the same time drying them out. what ive found is to heat them up in a pan with a juice and sugar mixture and spin them occasionally while resting them in the juice, not above a pan on a grill, and bast often

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Beast, Did you not get any instructions or perhaps a web site to visit? If they're already cooked, you may seriously dry them out with reheating. You might best take them out of the fridge for 30 minutes or so and serve at room temperature, perhaps with a warm sauce of your choice. Again, I think trying to heat them might be a mistake. JMTCW...[p]Rascal

• Beast,
    Maybe this helps.[p] Pork, Ham, Honey, HoneyBaked® Ham Glaze

This was posted on the Klose web site a few weeks ago. Hope it helps.TSR has discovered that the tender hams are delivered to each of the 300 HoneyBaked outlets already smoked, but without the glaze. It is only when the ham gets to your local HoneyBaked store that a special machine thin-slices the tender meat in a spiral fashion around the bone. One at a time, each ham is then coated with granulated sugar that has been mixed with spices - a blend that is similar to what might be used to make pumpkin pie. This sweet coating is then caramelized with a blowtorch by hand until the glaze bubbles and melts, turning golden brown. If needed, more of the sugar-coating is added, and the blowtorch is fired up until the glaze is just right. It is this careful process that turns the same size ham that costs 10 dollars in a supermarket into one that customers gladly shell out 3 to 4 times as much to share during this holiday season. For this clone recipe, we will re-create the glaze that you can apply to a smoked/cooked bone-in ham of your choice. Look for a ham that's pre-sliced. Otherwise you'll have to slice it yourself with a sharp knife, then the glaze will be applied. To get the coating just right you must use a blowtorch. If you don't have one, you can find a small one in hardware stores for around 15 bucks. We'll leave this recipe up for 2 weeks to get you through Christmas. Happy Holidays!!
    [p]INGREDIENTS:
    1 fully-cooked shank half ham, bone-in, pre-sliced is best
    1 cup sugar
    1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
    1/4 tsp ground clove
    1/8 tsp paprika
    dash ground ginger
    dash ground allspice

Yield: 1 holiday ham.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, K, 12/20/06[p]Top Secret Recipes[p]version of[p]HoneyBaked® Ham Glaze[p]1. First you must slice your ham. Use a very sharp knife to cut the ham into very thin slices around the bone. Do not cut all the way down to the bone or the meat may not hold together properly as it is being glazed. You want the slices to be quite thin, but not so thin that they begin to fall apart or off the bone. You may wish to turn the ham onto its flat end and cut around it starting at the bottom. You can then spin the ham as you slice around and work your way up.[p]2. Mix the remaining ingredients together in a small bowl.[p]3. Lay down a couple sheets of wax paper onto a flat surface, such as your kitchen counter. Pour the sugar mixture onto the wax paper and spread it around evenly.[p]4. Pick up the ham and roll it over the sugar mixture so that it is well coated. Do not coat the flat end of the ham, just the outer surface which you have sliced through.[p]5. Turn the ham onto its flat end on a plate. Use a blow torch with a medium-size flame to caramelize the sugar. Wave the torch over the sugar with rapid movement, so that the sugar bubbles and browns, but won't burn. Spin the plate so that you can torch the entire surface of the ham. Repeat the coating and caramelizing process until the ham has been well-glazed (don't expect to use all of the sugar mixture). Serve the ham cold or re-heated, just like the real thing.

[p]

• Beast
    Options
    Richard Fl,
    Thanks for all the information i surely don't want to dry it out so i guess i'll just leave it in the fridge until wed. morning cover it and leave out until lunch that way it'll have time to get to room temp hopefully maybe i could make some kind of glaze for it i hope they don't be disappointed because it won't ge grilled thanks again all
    Beast

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Beast,[p]Cooks Illustrated did an article on hams last month (I think). There technique was for the oven, but they essentially recommended you get bone in and spiral sliced hams. Now you were given this ham, and free ham is not to scoffed at, so forget about the whole bone in/bone out issue.[p]But as the folks below have noted, Cooks Illustrated talked about the dangers of drying out your ham. To mitigate, they suggested putting the tightly wrapped ham in a hot water bath for 45 minutes. Then, replace the now cold water with new warm water and soak for another 45 minutes. This will bring the ham closer to room temp and reduce the amount of time needed in the oven...er....egg.[p]A couple other things they suggest is to cook it in an oven bag, but not sure you'd want to do that since then you're missing some of the smoke from the Egg. But I guess the bag also reduces the cooking time.[p]Then they recommend heating it up in a 250 degree oven...er....egg rather than cooking at higher temps. They also suggested taking it out at like 100* internal (I think) rather than the higher temps many people reheat to. You then open the bag and apply some glaze then return to the oven...er...Egg....at 350* for 10 more minutes to set the glaze.[p]Then take it out, glaze again, and let rest for 15 more minutes.[p]I did this in the oven for Thanksgiving and it was quite good. You might also take a look at a link on WessB's site where I think he injects a ham with maple syrup. Yum!!![p]Good luck,
    Cornfed

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Beast,
    you can always smoke it for fifteen minutes or so if you want, then continue to reheat it, per the instructions, but wrapped in foil with maybe some cider or oj.[p]doesn't have to be served cold.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Beast
    Options
    Cornfed,
    thanks for that info as well if i'm not mistaken it was stated somewhere that you can't inject a spiral sliced ham due to loss of the injection by way of the slices maybe i'll attemp to heat it on a low temp as yo stated being cautoius not to over do it thanks again
    Beast

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Beast,[p]Oh right, that makes sense. Didn't quite think about that when posting :) Had a few too many drinks watching my Fantasy Football teams tank yesterday, and am a little slow today as a result...[p]Heeee,
    Cornfed

• billt
    billt Posts: 225
    Options
    Beast,
    i bought one several years ago, re-heated in the oven according to the less than clear instructions. due to excessive holiday libation consumtion, i my have screwed it up, however it 'un-spiraled' and was a dry to the point of useless. my advice would be to wrap in foil with some liquid if you must re-heat and don't drink too much.
    bill