Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baba Ghannouj

Options
Ca_rnivore
Ca_rnivore Posts: 120
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The recent discussion about eggplant got me hungry for 'em. I figured that I'd try Baba Ghannouj with grilled eggplant as suggested by J Appledog. [p]It turned out great, but I couldn't find any tahini when I wanted it. I found a similar product called Tehana from Israel. It's sesame seed paste with chickpeas and garlic. Does anyone know what the difference between Tahini and Tehana are? Would it make much of a difference in the flavor of the Baba Ghannouj? [p]Thanks,
Kevin

Comments

• Ca-rnivore,[p]Never heard of it . to exotic :)... sorry.... but the Eggplant sounds wonderful... I want to give it a try soon also. [p]By your handle you would think you only eat meat :) [p]Take care .... Happy Egging

• Ca_rnivore
    Options
    BB,[p]If I had my druthers, it'd be meat and nuttin' but meat! My wife tries to keep me eating a balanced diet and eggplant is one of maybe a half dozen veggies that I like.
    As long as I can grill 'em, I can eat 'em.[p]If you have a copy of Raichlen's BBQ Bible, look up this recipe. I think he calls it Mediterranean(sp?) eggplant dip. Mine turned out like a spicy, tangy guacamole. It was refreshing. I even grilled some pita bread to dip into the baba ghannouj.[p]
    --Kevin

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    Ca-rnivore,
    Keep this kind of nonsense up and you'll earn a new handle...Om-nivore. Or Herb-ivore, even!
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• Ca-rnivore,[p]Tahini is just the sesame seed paste (think peanut butter made from sesame seeds)[p]Sounds like your tehana is closer to prepared hummus- which is chickpeas, tahini, garlic, and olive oil. I'm sure you could make some great baba ghannouj with it, but I always like to have real tahini around.[p]I've had good luck finding tahini in specialty stores, so check in your area to see if you have a middle eastern grocery near you.[p]Good luck![p]-Skooter[p]
  • Ca-rnivore,[p]The show Good Eats on FoodTV recently devoted a half hour to eggplant. I was surprised to learn that eggplant has next to no nutritional value. It's not *bad* for you in any way, but you're not really getting anything out of it either.[p]Tell your wife you are better off with just the meat! All those Atkins dieters can't be wrong, can they?[p]-Skooter
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Skooter,
    Though not as nutritious as many other veggies, it is a good source of potassium and dietary fiber. Also, along with tomatoes, might have some bebefits against cancer.[p]as noted here:
    http://www.ca5aday.com/prevention/prev_eat.htm[p]For as mushy as it is, and as difficult as it is to prepare (for me anyways), I would expect it to be really good for you![p]cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • char buddy
    Options
    Ca-rnivore,[p]Thought I'd report on my recent eggplant adventures on the egg. I tried something called eggplant steaks that I saw on the good eats show. [p]If I try this one again I'd do the following. I'd cut the slices a little thicker than alton recommends. I'd cut mine an inch thick. I ran the egg at 400º direct. The thinner slices were practically destroyed. The thicker slices turned out fine. I'd also cut down on the worcestershire sauce. from 1/4 cup to maybe a tsb. The idea of the dish is that you could close your eyes while eating eggplant and think you were eating steak. For maybe half my slices the trick worked, but it didn't work for the skinny pieces and the Lea and Perrins is too intense. [p]Before I try this again, I think I'll check out the variations on Baba gahnoosh I'm reading about.
  • Ca_rnivore
    Options
    Skooter,[p]Thanks for the info. I've seen Tahini a zillion times when not looking for it. When I need it, ain't none to be found!
    Next time I see it, I'll grab some and try the baba ghannouj with the "real" stuff next time.[p]Kevin

• Ca_rnivore
    Options
    Gretl,[p]It'll never happen! There's only a few veggies that I've learned to 'preciate and I'm too set in my ways to change now:)[p]MEAT RULES!![p]Kevin

• Ca_rnivore
    Options
    char buddy ,[p]I saw that eggplant steak recipe on the website. Looks pretty interesting. If you try it again with the mods you mentioned, let us know how it turns out.[p]Kevin