Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Time for some Sourdough!

Options
egret
egret Posts: 4,170
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Made 3 loaves of sourdough bread yesterday using KS Cheryl's recipe and my starter. Two of them were round loaves like this :[p]Sourdough1.jpg

[p]The third was made in loaf pan for sandwich bread. Here they are on the cooling racks :[p]Sourdough2.jpg[p]I didn't get the first one (the one on the left) brown enough for my taste so I altered the cooking procedure on the last two, i.e., put on at 500 degrees, then dropped down to 450 as opposed to starting at 375 and dropping down to 350.

Comments

• ranger ray
    Options
    egret,
    outstanding!!!!!!!!!!

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    egret,[p]Great looking loaves John.[p]Bread is one of the many things I have yet to master on the egg. That is one of my winter projects to bake more breads and try to get something even close to what you have produced. I've tried plenty but have never been thrilled with the results.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    egret,
    those look amazing.[p]probably a fifteen dollar loaf in manhattan!
    hahahaha

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • ChefDave
    ChefDave Posts: 142
    Options
    egret, Will Cheryl share the recipe? I did a mashed potatoe, rosemary and roasted garlic bread the other day and it wads soooooooooo good.[p]David

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    egret, Nice looking loaves there! I love bread, and baking it is one of life's joys! My favorite is whole wheat, the recipe for which I put together after doing some in-depth reading. Been a while, but I used to bake sourdough rye/onion bread, and that recipe came from a 1981 edition of the Marlboro (Chuckwagon) cookbook. Another all time favorite from that book is "Wild Card Chili". Together with the sourdough bread it's a combo that's hard to beat. Of course you need some of your favorite brew to wash down the trail dust first![p]Rascal

• egret,
    i can smell that from here!

• egret,[p]Oh, yeah -- lookin' good.[p]I've dedicated my Small to baking, and crank out six to nine loaves in succession every two weeks or so.[p]Round ones![p]I find 400F indirect works best for my concoction.[p]Best Wishes![p]~ B