Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Suggestions on rump roast?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a 3.5 lb. rump roast that I want to cook on my BGE. I was going to cook indirect with a drip pan, but I’m not sure at what temp to cook at and how long. I do have a Polder and will shot for the medium rare to medium range. Also should I brine this roast, or just rub it with mustard and other seasonings 24 hour before the cook time.
Thanks for your input.

Comments

• Jim R.
    Jim R. Posts: 103
    Options
    Duane in SW Mo.,
    Just did a rump about same size this weekend and was surprised!Just a mix of recipes,marinated over night with
    Dales,Soy,Balsamic,Spices etc.Used 350 dome and pulled at 145 on the Polder.Wrapped in foil for about 15 minutes and then sliced thin,it was very flavorful and suprisingly tender.(Thick slices not so)Have fun!!

• Marv
    Marv Posts: 177
    Options
    Duane in SW Mo.,
    This is not a tough cut of meat like a brisket, so your choice of a rub (which would be mine) or a liquid marianade then cook at 325 to an internal temp of 140 rare, 150 med, 160 well.[p]Marv
    www.marvsbbq.com

• Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Options
    Duane in SW Mo.,
    Another idea that works great with rump roast is 'jerky' I either get it sliced or slice it myself into 1/4" or thiner slices,along the grain, soak it in whatever seasonings you like and cook it on a grill rack or a hang down rack. Good STUFF!! Bob

• Marv
    Marv Posts: 177
    Options
    Bamabob,
    That is what I used to make my jerky out of (when I used to make it) and it was awesome.
    When I had a 'regular job' I made my first couple of batches and took it to work and gave it away FREE. I am talking about several pounds.
    When I finally got them 'hooked' I started selling it for $20.00 per lb. but I would wait until they were all begging me to make more.
    Then I would buy a couple of cases of bottom round (about 250 pounds worth, take ALL the fat off and hand slice it then brine it over night and work ALL weekend making jerky.
    I would bag it up in 1/4 lb. zip lock bags (with my wifes help) and sell $2,000-$3,000 worth in 3-4 days. I only did this a couple fo times a year because of the work involved.
    Now I don't have to work that hard anymore, HA HA[p]Marv

• Marv,[p]Hi, just wondering what type cooker you used to make the jerkey with. That must have been some cook ! [p]Happy Egging.. BB [p]