Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Portabella mushroom

Options
UGAVET
UGAVET Posts: 577
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In my previous post about our office Christmas party i mentioned a vegetarian in the office. I would like to do something with a Portabella mushroom for her and her husband. I have taken a large portabella brushed with olive oil and placed a tomato in olive oil and balsamic vinegar with some mozzarella and parmesian cheese on top. grill on egg direct raised grid till cheese is melted. any other suggestions? i have also seen some people advocate taking the gills out?

Comments

• ugavet ,[p]Take gills out, turn the shroom upside down, and fill the cavity with good glop... dribble with EVOO & roast glop-side-up!
  • UGAVET
    Options
    Broc, just across the Muddy Mo from Omaha, Eastward in Eden,
    what is your version of "glop"?

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    ugavet,
    i didn't fuss with the gills... but might be better without (i can't throw anything out).[p]but try stuffing them with a simple tapenade. you can probably get a nice organic one for maybe $5 in a pound container. shavings of parm on top, with cracked pepper.[p]i grilled them gills down direct, flipped up, stuffed with the tapenade, and put some parm on top. put them back on, but slid them to the outside (semi-indirect) when the cheese was melted and heated through, took them off.[p]double check. is the person ok with cheese?

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • UGAVET
    Options
    stike,
    I think cheese is ok cause she will eat spinich lasagna when we have lunch meetings. I have always left the gills in as well. good idea on the tapenade. thanks.

• stike
    Options
    ugavet ,
    if you are a glutton for punishment you can make your own tapenade.... but between me and you, just buy a small premade (but good) batch.[p]

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    stike,[p]slacker
  • stike
    Options
    Fidel,
    he's got enough going on without having to pit olives....
    hahahaha

• All over the map
    Options
    ugavet ,[p]black pepper, sun dried tomatoes marinated in olive oil and herbs, the stem of the portabella chopped into little pieces, a shallot (fry all these ingredients until they cook down a bit and the shallot is translucent. (if you're making some for non-vegetarians add some bacon or chorizo sausage to the mix that you're cooking in the pan to add some extra flavour and texture)[p]Add a touch of hot sauce and some pine nuts and mix it up. fill the mushrooms[p]top with salt and pepper and goat cheese (chevre)[p]wow, my mouth is watering just thinking about it![p][p]