Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cutting Boards

Options
BlueSmoke
BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
There was a short cutting board thread recently, and, lo and behold here arrives the current issue of Cook's Illustrated with their test results.[p]The article, "A Cut Above" is on page 28 of the Jan/Feb issue. Without going into detail, the highly recommended boards were (in order of price)Architec Gripper Nonslip {plastic} ($14.99), Snow River Utility {laminate} ($16.99), J.K. Adams Takes Two {wood} ($22), and Totally Bamboo Congo {bamboo} ($39.99). [p]Stars were awarded for cutting, durability, cleanup and user friendliness. Wood and bamboo got 12 stars out of 12 possible; laminate and plastic got 11.[p]Happy cutting!
Ken

Comments

• amini1
    amini1 Posts: 105
    Options
    BlueSmoke,[p]Thanks for the update Ken. I participated in that thread and have since purchased a maple end grain board from Boardsmith and a Sani-Tuff. The Boardsmith one is beautiful if anyone is looking for a showpiece for your kitchen.[p]Win
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    i've been using the same two teak cutting boards i received from dansk as wedding presents 25 years ago. ...they are marred, and beat up, but no splits in the wood or anything. .. .they look used because they are used. ..every day of the week. .. clean up is easy, and i've never done a thing to treat either one of them (oil or special treatment, nothing) ... .

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    That's the beauty of a good board - constant use with no failings. I'm using a bamboo board I got as a present six months ago, and it bodes to be as durable as your teaks.[p]The other issue, for us at least, is board weight. Among those I listed, the plastic weighed in at 0.9 lbs, the bamboo at 5. The John Boos Chopping Block they tested, of hard rock maple, weighs in at 10.4 lbs, cost $74.95, and in their words "split along a glue line after routine use".[p]Ken

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome, just like someone from DC, expect the rest of the country to support the economy.....LOL. T

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    I'm sold on bamboo also. I'm just trying to figure out how to replace my long-grain board with an end-grain board without the wife (yes, the wife who....) noticing. I have a small end-grain board and it is da bomb.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    BlueSmoke, Go for the wood!

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    BGECornbreadandCuttingBoard009.jpg
    <p />BlueSmoke,
    I like wood cutting boards, they have character and are admired in the kitchen.

• mojopin
    mojopin Posts: 200
    Options
    ClayQ,[p]Thats awesome! Did you make that? I would never use it! [p]-Jill
  • Ron_L
    Ron_L Posts: 163
    Options
    ClayQ,
    Very nice! I'm not sure if I would use it, either. It would look great on the wall.[p]...ron

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    ClayQ,
    Quite impressive....If you made that, you have a great talent.[p]Wess

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    BlueSmoke,[p]I'm a fan of wood too.[p]End grain walnut and cherry from Ozark West:[p]CuttingBoard.jpg
  • dador5
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    You also need some item on which to set hot cast iron after it comes out of the egg. Instead of scorching the cutting boards, next time you can get a piece of oak log (or some other suitable hardwood) use a chainsaw to cut some one inch slabs. Leave the bark on and you've got a round cutting board/footless trivet type thing.

• Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    ClayQ,
    Wow, now that is some nice choppin block. You are a highly skilled craftsman, it's beatiful.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Howdy Clay
    I was already onto your talent...so it's no surprise...but that's just freakin beautiful. Looks like a fun project to just zen out on. Amazing how tight that thing fits together. So....you gonna cut on that puppy?
    Cheers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • BlueSmoke,
    The Epicurean board is my favorite. It is a little expensive, but I would buy another one of these any day.

[ul][li]Epicurean[/ul]
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    BlueSmoke, Our wedding reception was just down the road from J.K. Adams. My family still has a home in the area and I've managed to acquire a few J.K. Adams boards over the years. I have a favorite one that I usually grab for just about any chore. JCA

• Ottawa_egger
    Options
    IMG_0180.jpg
    <p />The Naked Whiz,[p]Here's a shot of my end-grain mesquite board. It's about 16"x12"x2" and weighs a ton. I'm the only one that uses it because my wife is too petite to lift the damn thing! I paid $100 for it off eBay, and am extremely happy with it. That would be a 30-day, dry-aged strip loin on the left and a similar ribeye on the right. Can't go wrong with those![p]Ottawa_egger