Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

outside temp.

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What in the coldest temp that is safe to use the bge? I live in IL.and todays temp in 24.

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Rich Gliwa,
    Any temps you can stand, the egg can also stand.....a bit of advice...make sure there is lump in the egg after you're done cooking so when the dome freezes shut you can light the leftover lump to thaw the egg out, and get the dome opened..[p]Wess

• Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Rich Gliwa,[p]They are using them in Canada at below zero.
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Rich Gliwa,
    The temp will get to you long before it gets to the Egg. In Colorado, I cooked as cold as zero Farenheit. [p]Ken

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    WessB,
    Also helps to cover the gasket with foil - keeps the felt from freezing dome and base together.[p]Ken

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Rich Gliwa,[p]The coldest temp it is safe to use the Egg in is the one that your food is still warm by the time you carry it into the house. So move your Egg close to the door, and keep a shovel handy to clear the drifts:)[p]from the northern Indiana Lake Effect belt,
    gdenby

• Little Steven
    Options
    Rich Gliwa,[p]-34 centigrade for me but I know guys that have used them at -40 which is about the same on the both scales.[p]Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    WessB,
    I would also say when you are done, put the ceramic cap on and put the daisy wheel inside the egg. I found it easier sometimes to get the ceramic cap off then the daisy wheel in case you need to drop something in from the top.[p]Last year I cooked ribs at something like -5 degrees and
    -35 wind chill. No issues.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Rich Gliwa,
    I'm down here in central Illinois and egg year around. I once egged a butt overnight and it was minus 3°. Cold won't hurt Humpty!
    BTW where are you in IL?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Buster Dog BBQ,
    i always put the daisy inside and the rain cap on top, regardless of weather. keeps rain out, keeps the daisy from rusting, and allows the excess gunk on the daisy to drip or even burn off.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    WessB, How about some plastic wrap (like Saran) or non-stick foil, or better yet, if there's not much lump left, just leave the dome open, or propped open?? I've got a doctorate in BS and thought I'd put it to use! 8 - )[p]Rascal

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    gdenby, Interesting that you hail from the Hoosier State! I got my learnin' at Purdue but didn't talk like this 'til I moved to FL (and now I ar one)! Still, not too bad for a Bronx Boy! The coldest temp (not including wind chill) I ever experienced was 22 below at West Lafayette! It was so cold & dry that the snow actually squeaked beneath your boots as you walked, and your breath froze as you exhaled (unless you were nippin' a bit)![p]Rascal

• EggspertMN
    Options
    Rich Gliwa,
    All year round. even below zero. cooked chicken last night, tho it was only 10 degrees F[p]M

• ACE OF STEAKS
    Options
    Rich Gliwa,
    Rich i live in IL also and use my egg all winter long the temp outside wont bother it. where in IL do you live i am in McHenry by the way i also am a BGE DEALER
    BJORKMANS ACE HARDWARE
    815-385-3660
    GARY

• Mega Egga
    Options
    I just finished an 18 1/2 hour cook on my XL and the cold night temperature had no effect on it, heck, it got down to 54* here in Florida last night
  • fonchik
    Options
    Rich Gliwa,
    I was doing pizza last January in below 0 temps with wind chills in the teens to twentys below. The Egg was fine but I was sure cold running in and out making 14 pizzas.[p]HTH
    Linnea

• ACE OF STEAKS,
    I live in Crystal Lake IL and bought my Egg in July this year. I have been Eggin at least 4-5 times a week since I bought it. Cold doesn't bother it (now me, that's a different story) and I plan on using it all winter long. It is out in the open on my patio (covered when not in use) and so far, no problems. And Gary, I plan on getting to your store soon. I am anxious to meet you!