Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blasphemy - how to reheat pulled pork in a microwave

Options
Dave
Dave Posts: 163
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My co-workers have long been regaled with tales of the delicious foods prepared on the Big Green Egg. Having a few people over for football sunday and am making a pulled pork, and expect plenty of leftovers. I'd like to bring some in for my co-workers to have for lunch on Monday, but our kitchen is pretty spartan. There's a toaster oven and a microwave and that's it. Any suggestions on how best to reheat without ruining the meat?[p]Thanks!

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Dave,
    Microwave always seems to make meat taste funky to me. If you must, use a very low power and just warm. In a foil tray in the toaster oven might be worth a try!
    Good luck!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    Dave,
    do you own a crock pot that you can bring in, adding a little coke and heating that way works well

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Dave,
    I nuke it for co-workers all the time...I have it in a foodsaver bag and don`t go to long...comes out fine, maybe the foodsaver bag is the difference...dunno[p]Wess

• Dave,
    Never in the microwave. Everyone has a crockpot right? Put in crockpot add a can of your favorite beer for moisture and turn on low. Very delicious and no it does not taste like beer at all. Pulled pork is one of those things like chili, it is always better the next day. Enjoy!

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Dave,
    Got to agree with Chris. Since you want the pork warm, I'd make the thinnest layer possible with either the nuke or the toaster oven, cover with foil (t.o.) or cling wrap (mw) and heat on the lowest power or temp. Moisten with cola or apple juice and stir occasionally as it heats.[p]HTH
    Ken

• Wyldwood
    Options
    Dave,
    I take a crockpot full to work for potlucks and add about 1/2 can of Coke to it. Always great. They invent reasons to have potlucks so I'll bring it. Remember most folks have never had good southern bbq, so yours will be better than they've ever had.

• Shea
    Shea Posts: 2
    Options
    Dave,
    The best way I have found to reheat pulled pork is to put it in a vacuum bag and put in in boiling water until it is hot. When you open the bag you will still smell the smoke.[p]
    Shea

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Dave,[p]Like others below, I nuke it also. If you hit it too hard it'll radically change the taste so be careful. Its better doing it at very low power for a long time with frequent checking on the temp. I am fortunate to have a microwave that actually reduces its power when set to low and it makes a big difference - most just cycle full power on and off for different amounts of time. Put it in a bag or container with some liquid (like coke) to keep it moist.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Dave,[p]Lo setting nuke, and some nice Blues Hog Tennessee Red sauce went over really well where I work.[p]gdenby

• Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    Options
    Dave,[p]Well, with all the sales going on, I bought a couple 1.5qt and 2.0qt slow cookers. Start in the morning and by lunch, the smell should be driving them crazy! I'd probably start it on high, going in every 15 mins to stir and adjust the top to get the consistency desired...[p]Thanks to RRP:
    I happen to prefer the Coca-Cola method as I have had great success with that method - but first thing you need to know is the Coke DOES NOT flavor it nor change the taste! Why it works I'm not real sure but it eliminates that lousy warmed over taste IMHO and really works wonders on beef as well. Quantity wise I prefer one 12 oz can of real Coke, - no diet stuff, nor any flavored Coke either and NO!, pepsi will not work so please don't try to substitute. I find one can for two to four pounds of pulled pork is fine when done in a crock pot at low temp and stirred from time to time. Even warmed in a pan on the stove works but in that case stir often and keep it low! The real secret though is not to tell your guests - it's weird, but people wrinkle up their noses at the Coke idea since they think it will be sweet or something - but it isn't, nor is there even any color left, but if they don't know the secret all they do is applaud you for the wonderful pulled pork![p]Recipe Source _Source: BGE Forum, RRP, 05/17/07[p]