Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bone In or Boneless

Options
TexasTigerFan
TexasTigerFan Posts: 85
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Going to do a Prime Rib for Xmas dinner. Costco has both bone-in and boneless prime rib. Cost difference is immaterial. Which is better? I have never cooked a prime rib on the egg. I will be feeding approximately 12-15 people. I am having turkey as well.[p]Thanks,
Mike

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    ref1515,
    Get the bone-in, have the meat cutter de-bone and rety. Much more flavor, IMHO.
    All this prime rib talk is driving me nuts for some beef.[p]Mike

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    ref1515,[p]Bone-in has better flavor. Take off the bones before carving and you have an extra treat for later.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,[p]Why cut off and tie on before cooking? Why not just cut the ribs off after it is cooked?
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Fidel,
    Lot easier. Most good meat cutters will offer to do this when ordering the roast.[p]
    Mike

• Car Wash Mike,[p]Plus you can then get the rub all the way around the roast when you tie it back to the ribs. Only way to go.[p]Scottie

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    ref1515,
    the bone itself doesn't add any flavor, unless you are making soup. but there is a reason you actually have more flavor when you go bone-in.[p]when the bone is taken off, and the meat trimmed up, you lose some of the fat that was near the bone. so, bone-in, or tied back on, there's just more fat present. and fat is flavor! [p]the meat itself, bone-in or bone trimmed off, won't change. [p]if you have an electric knife or long carving knife, you can glide down the bones and trim it off yourself after roasting and before serving. but some butchers will cut it off and tie it back on.[p]or, they can cut the backbone between the ribs if you want to cut each serving off as a bone-in rib. but for a fancy schmancy dinner, serving with the bone isn't as 'elegant'.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    ref1515,[p]I like the bone-in roasts for a couple of reasons....One is kind of along the lines that stike mentioned, the fat and the resulting flavor trap; I also think think the ribs help hold some moisture. [p]Next, the ribs protect the roast during the cook. I cook mine bone down during most of the cook.[p]Lastly, the ribs themselves are wonderful. I slice the roast to order (thickness wise) but on occasion I will slice a few ribs if there are some big eaters for dinner. They are also excellent to send home in go boxes. Most of the time however, they are reserved for my treat the next day. [p]I prefer to have the ribs attached. It takes about a minute to remove them after the roast has rested, and I will put the rack back on the cooker, cut side down, for a couple of minutes to seal that fresh cut side. Keeping my personal opinions to myself regarding sauce.....If you are serving folks that like sauce on ribs, glaze these baby's for a few minutes and they will have the best ribs ever.[p]~thirdeye~[p]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    ref1515, With bones attached. It's easy to carve around them and once you reheat a few (get 'em well done) a hungry, mad dog couldn't take them from you! 8 - )[p]Rascal

• Hoss's BBQ
    Options
    ref1515,
    Go bone in. It helps wioth flavor and makes for a great showpiece on the table before you carve! Also the ribs taste great. You could save them for leftovers reheat on egg and glaze with sauce. Hoss

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    stike,
    Yes the bones will add flavor. As the beef cooks the marrow from the bones melts into the beef to give it that extra punch of flavor.[p]Mike[p]

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    csc bbq team,
    Never even thought of that. DOH! You could put kind of goodies behind that. I'm thinking maybe even some bacon slices. Guess what I'm eggsperimenting on this weekend. LOL[p]Thanks.[p]Mike

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    ref1515,
    bone in, and try to get a feel for how many like end cuts and how they like it cooked. im a fan of cooking roasts in 2 bone pieces so there is more end slices which are more flavorful, and cooking them in 2 or 3 bone roasts, you can have a better variance between med/rare and med pieces, then nuke the sliced pieces for those that like well done.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    if you say so!
    never seen marrow wick thru bones, maybe out the ends....[p][p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • ref1515,[p]If you decide to get a bone-in, have the butcher "cradle" it for you. This way, the bones are easier to remove.
  • TexasTigerFan
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Bone-in it shall be. I will use the popular Naked Whiz recipe. I am sure it will be great.[p]Thanks again,
    Mike