Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My First Try at Pizza - what I learned

Options
Ken
Ken Posts: 24
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
PC060017Medium.jpg
<p />Being an Egg newbie, I've been dying to try pizza. Myfirst run with different things, I've tried to keep it simple. I bought the Trader Joes pizza dough, added sauce, mushrooms, mozzarella and regio parmesan cheese and sausage. I used a plate setter legs down and a pizza stone on the grill. The best dome temperature I could get was 360. I cooked it for about 15 minutes but the crust wouldn't brown and was under cooked. Otherwise the flavor was fantastic. Next time I'll put half a bag of lump in! Live and learn.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Dr. Strangelove
    Options
    Ken,
    Temp needs to be at least 450, your pizza looks great though. I use my plate setter legs down, pizza stone directly on setter, no grill. At least you got to make yours! (see my pitiful post below of what happens when your pizza guests no-show)

• Ken,
    did you heat the plate setter and pizza stone in the egg for at least half an hour?

• Flashback Bob
    Options
    Ken,
    Yep, put in more lump. I would think you'd need it to at least get to 550 for pizza.
    I like 650.
    Fishless likes 12,000F , whatever floats your boat.[p]The platesetter inhibits the draft (at least mine does) so get your fire going before you add the platesetter. Fill with new lump to the top of the firebox.[p] Also, some folks suggested that if I leave the grate in there while cooking pizza, I might pick up some unwanted extra smoke from things burning off the grill. Instead you can use 3 BGE feet on the platesetter to hold the stone or 3 copper pipe elbows.

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Flashback Bob,[p]
    I like anything over 800 deg ....1000 is just right!