Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Christmas Party Menu Help

Options
UGAVET
UGAVET Posts: 577
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, We are having our Employee Christmas Party this saturday. I am in charge by design of cooking the meat. I think i have decided to go all out and do prime rib this year but i am cooking for about 52 people. Probably 10 of these will be kids and 1 person that is allergic to beef and 1 vegetarian. I guess rather than actual prime beef it will be a rib roast- choice i would imagine. I plan on getting the meat at resturant depot in Atl but they have huge chunks of meat and i have never really been able to pick out exactly what i need in the cryovac type bags vs. roast at sams club. the main question is does anyone have any idea how much standing rib roast i will need to feed about 45 people. Maybe i should just do ribeye steaks for everyone but really wanted to wow them.

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    ugavet,
    I know you want the WOW factor, but you might want take into account. Some people will not eat medium rare beef. I cooked prime rib for a my family of 20 and no one could agree how well done it should or shouldn't be.
    The last time I cooked for about 40 with kids. I cooked to 8lb brisket flats, 1 8lb butt, and an 4 lb pork loin with apricots stuffed with cashews.
    Food for thought and good luck. Lets us know what you end up doing?[p]Mike

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    ugavet,
    Our vet asked me to cook for his Christmas party last year, I made a couple butts, slaw, and sauce. I don't have much experience with prime rib but I tasted Max's three years ago in ATL and it was fabulous. -RP

[ul][li]Max's Prime Rib[/ul]
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    ugavet,[p]I agree 100% with CWM's post. I cook for the office holiday meals as well. For TGD I did 2 hams and 3 turkey breasts, all sliced thin. No arguments from anyone.[p]For Christmas office luncheon for about 70 people I am doing 2 packer briskets, 4 pork loins with various stuffings (might even sneak in a triple threat), and a mess of leg quarters for those that prefer chicken.
  • Spaceman Spiff
    Options
    True words about the prime rib doneness.[p]Spacey
  • UGAVET
    Options
    AZRP,
    I have done Max's Prime Rib twice and it was great. Everyone loved it.

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    ugavet,[p]Unless you will specifically not let the kids have the prime rib you better figure them in. I'd plan on cooking about 40 lbs or more if you plan to cut it into slabs like a restaurant would. If you'll be slicing it thin you may get away with less. Running out really sucks though.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    drbbq,
    Good points, Doctor.[p]I'd let presentation be the "wow", ugavet. Do a steamship round and carve it to diner's taste on the serving line. One round should fit in your Egg and accomodate all the diners.[p]Here's some info on the cut.[p]Good luck,[p]Ken

• Car Wash Mike,
    The last 2 times I did the prime rib roast, I cut mine in half so I had 4 ends so I had plenty of "not pink" slices for the "I don't want it rare" people. I pulled them at 120 internal and they cooked while resting and were perfect. Had a nice mix of rare to not-rare cuts.

• UGAVET
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    Im not familiar with a steamship round? The info didnt link i dont think. thanks for your advise.[p]