Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dinner Sunday night!

Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove Posts: 261
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
<a href=
<p />Some tasty cornish game hens wrapped in bacon and stuffed with wild rice, onion, sausage, and mushrooms!

Comments

• JET,[p]Well Damn! Here they are:[p]IMG_0099.jpg
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    JEt,
    Nice! -RP

• JEt,
    looks great. what is the story on stuffing chickens/c. hens? i know they say to steer away from stuffing turkeys-does the rule not apply here due to size? i would love to try them. thanks!

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    JET, Ready to try. How and what did you do?

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• JEt,[p]Oh, yeah! Everything's better with bacon![p]~ B

• Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    JEt,
    Alright! Those little dudes look great, I think I will pick up a couple and give it a shot.

• El Jefe,
    The stuffing was cooked right before putting into the birds and then put directly on the egg. I sautéed mushrooms and onion in the grease left over from browning a 1/4 pound or so Jimmy Dean Sage sausage and mixed it all, sausage included, with some just cooked wild rice. With such a short cooking time on the birds and the stuffing being hot, I have never had any problems. (Be sure the birds are not still frozen anywhere!) I personally think stuffing is perfectly safe done this way in any size poultry (the trip to the store is more dangerous in my opinion!) but everyone must make their own decision on that. Follow safe food handeling practices and put the stuffing in precooked and its all good...

• Mickey,
    Purchase two pack of fresh Cornish game hens, or thaw out two individually frozen birds in your fridge for a couple of days. Pull out the little plastic bags of innards (very important! Don't skip this step!), examine as if you are going to use them for something, then throw in your kitchen trash. Prepare wild rice in whatever manner you like while browning some Jimmy Dean sage sausage or whatever sausage tickles your fancy (1/4 pound or so, I don't measure). Remove sausage from pan, add onion, garlic, and mushrooms to the tasty grease left from the sausage.(I never said this was remotely healthy) Sauté till onions are translucent. Meanwhile rinse and pat dry birds inside and out. Season liberally inside and out with whatever seasonings make your sticker peck out, I used Everglades and Emeril's Essence. Mix rice and other stuffing ingredients and stuff into cavity of birds till they start to expand a little bit (can't do this with bread stuffing as it expands as it cooks) Wrap their little legs in bacon so they don't open during cooking, then throw onto a 350 degree indirect setup. Takes about 45 min give or take depending on size of birds and accuracy of thermometer. I pull them at 160 breast temp.[p]

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    JET,
    would like to do this.... time and temp please and is the raised or indirect?
    thanks

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.