Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Salmon Recipe?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone have a simple smoked salmon recipe? I looked through the archives and found one but it had a lot of steps, which I would like to avoid. Thanks.

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    NUMAN,[p]Which one did you look at? Mine has 5 steps: cure it, rinse it, rest it, smoke it & eat it. 6 steps if you count making the cure.[p]Jim Minion's has about the same number of steps, but uses both a cure and a finishing rub, but the cure time is shorter.[p]What type of finished product are you going for, I'm sure we can get you zeroed in.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • amini1
    amini1 Posts: 105
    Options
    NUMAN,[p]Raichlen has a great recipe consisting of dry curing, rinsing, smoking and cooling. Pretty simple and similar to thirdeyes. It's in his "How to Grill" book. The cure takes about 4 hours while the smoking part takes about 20 minutes. It's better than any smoked salmon I've had...including Zabars, Fairway, etc.
  • amini1
    amini1 Posts: 105
    Options
    amini1,[p]You can also slow smoke it at 225 degrees for 1 1/2 to 2 hours if you have the time.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    NUMAN, The Dizzy Pig site has an interesting salmon recipe which might very well work with smoking.[p]Rascal

• thirdeye,
    That sounds easy enough. Could you post the recipe for me? A great tasting final product is all I'm going for. The reason I said simple is because over the years I've tried cooking meals with numerous steps and ingredients and my end result wasn't that great. So I've tried to use the KISS method lately and things seem to turn out better for me.

• DonDon
    DonDon Posts: 89
    Options
    thirdeye,
    I put WAY to much on mine and it wasn't that good. All you could taste was smoke and wifey didn't like it to much. I THOUGHT it was apple but after we ate it I kinda remembered that I had put hickory chips in the bad that the apple wood chips were in OOPS. Won;t make that mistake again

• Retread
    Options
    NUMAN, Mine is as easy as it gets and the results are legendary among those who grace my table. Alder wood chips are my key. I soak a couple handfulls about 30-60 minutes ahead of time. I buy Salmon filets with the skin on, spray the skin with cooking spray and sprinkle the top with lemon pepper. That is it. I cook the filets direct at 225-250 dome until the white fat starts pushing out the top of the filets. I do no flip. The process takes anywhere from 25-30 minutes. I let the filets rest 5-10 minutes, if I can hold off the troops and then enjoy.

• thirdeye
    Options
    dsc02750aL.jpg
    <p />NUMAN,[p]After reading your post last night I realized that I had a side of Coho in the fridge. I keep a baggie of my cure in the freezer ....it took 7 minutes to remove the bones, add cure and wrap in plastic. It sat overnight in the frige and I just rinsed it and put it back in the frige for resting, this step took another 4 minutes. So total prep time was less than 15 minutes. I'm shooting for noon to get mine in the smoker.[p]A link to my cure recipe, how-to with pictures and a few tips is at the bottom of this post. Jim Minion's recipe follows. Compared to mine, his method calls for a shorter cure time, rest time and cooks at a tad higher temperature. (about the only thing I do different when I make Jim's is to rest longer than 30 minutes) Anyway, now you have two to choose from....[p]Cardogs’ Smoked Salmon[p]3 lb. filet of salmon - boned (preferably Sockeye or King)
    Dry rub:
    1 C light brown or turbinado sugar
    1 C non-iodized salt
    3 T granulated garlic
    3 T granulated onion
    1 T dill weed
    1 T summer savory
    2 t tarragon[p]Finishing rub:
    1/4 C light brown or turbinado sugar
    1 T granulated garlic
    1 T granulated onion
    1 t summer savory
    1 t tarragon[p]Buy a fresh salmon filet, sockeye or king if available. Bone the filet using tweezers or needle nose pliers. Do not remove the skin. Place in a glass or stainless steel pan.[p]Mix all ingredients and pack on the flesh side of the filet. Let the filet rest for 2 to 3 hours in fridg. Rinse the filet in cool clean water to remove the dry rub and pat dry. Allow to dry for about 30 minutes, until the flesh becomes tacky.[p]Heat a BBQ grill to medium to medium-high. Sprinkle finishing rub on the filet (twice what you would use as if you were heavy salt and peppering). Cook with the lid closed to 145 to155ºF measured in the center of the thickest part filet. If you want it smokier then smoke at 225 to 250º until it reaches the desired finish temp[p]We recommend using a wood to produce smoke while cooking. On a charcoal grill, just sprinkle a few wood chips on the coals. On a gas grill, place wood chips in a pouch made of aluminum foil. Poke holes in the top of the pouch and place it on the hottest spot under the grill. Alder is our wood of choice, but fruitwoods are a wonderful substitute.

[ul][li]Smoked Salmon[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye,
    That looks good enough to eat right now. Thanks, I will give it a shot.

• thirdeye
    Options
    fe687265.jpg
    <p />DonDon,[p]Yeah, too much smoke is a no-no with fish. I start with alder and then switch to cherry at the end, mainly for that good red color. I usually make several to give away at Christmas and I decorate them with red and green peppercorns.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye,
    Is it best to serve cold or warm?

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    NUMAN,
    if you follow thirdeyes recipe and can maintain 170 degree dome, take the scraps or maybe some extra and make some squaw candy. i sweaten up gfw's river city jerkey recipe with more brown sugar and maple syrup, but here are the basics, you dont need the liquid smoke cooking it in the egg.

[ul][li]squaw candy[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thirdeye
    Options
    NUMAN,[p]When serving a piece with a main course, warm works fine. I think for appetizers, I like it better chilled. Mrs ~t~ makes a yogurt dill sauce, but I'm not a sauce guy. For breakfast, I definitely like it chilled with a bagel and cream cheese. In pasta dishes, I add flakes toward the end so it picks up some residual heat. I also like it in fillings for ravioli or cannelloni. When it's on sale, I have even gone so far as to slightly under-cook it (125°) in the smoker, then make smoked salmon patties with it served up with a couple of tartar sauces.[p]Man, now I'm getting hungry....[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Eggin in Peoria
    Options
    NUMAN,
    fishlessman,
    here is one I like. The jackass sauce can be replaced with any hot sauce or skip altogether. [p]Smoked Salmon Brine
    1/3 c. sugar
    1/4 c. sea salt
    1.5 c. soy
    1 c. water
    1/2 c. terriyaki
    3/4 t. garlic powder
    1/4 t. pepper
    1/2 t. habenero jackass sauce[p]Brined overnight. Smoke at 180-250, lower is better. Use apple, cherry or alder.