Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Char Crust vs. Grocery Store Steaks

Options
RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
On Saturday night two of my buddies came over bearing Steaks. [p]I had the potatoes on the Egg, beer on ice and was waiting on the Beef.[p]Since they were purchasing the steaks, something that they do not normally do, I had no idea of the quality or cut I would get to cook. Well, they knew that I had high standards when it came to beef and they did the best that they could. [p]What I ended up with was four NY Strips with bone that were cut way too thin, but I was not going to complain because they did well. I took the potatoes off and let my small egg take off. I then used the remains of my Hickory Molasses Char Crust and sprayed them with Olive Oil.[p]I egged the steaks at 1000 for three minutes per side and then let them rest for three more. The steaks came out perfect and juicy, but a little over cooked due to the thinness of the steak. The potatoes were great as usual. We ate and drank like kings.[p]The moral of the story is: Find a good butcher and have your steaks cut thick.[p]Happy Grilling,
RhumAndJerk

Comments

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]Where can I find friends like yours? Mine just come over bringing PBR if anything. hehehe[p]K~G

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    KennyG,
    Done. You will do just fine.
    (Normally, I do provide the meat and beer)[p]I prefer Budweiser or Coors Extra Gold, but I guess PBR will do. Come to thunk of it I still have some cold beer so that leaves the steaks to you. HeHe.[p]How is the new Eggporium Construction going? Finished Yet?[p]RhumAndJerk[p]

• Fritz
    Fritz Posts: 179
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]Indeed, thick steaks rule. I am curious, you mention "spraying on" olive oil. You put that in a squirt bottle? I usually pour about a teaspoon on each side after I rub with spice.[p]Fritz
  • MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    Fritz,
    You can buy the spray bottles at most good kitchen shops. It was used for spraying olive oil in salads. It has a pump top. So you just pump the top, take it off and spray like an airasol.[p]MAC

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    Fritz,
    Mazola makes an Olive Oil Spray. I have heard that the pump sprays do not work that entirely well but I have not tried them. For as much as I use, the store bought one works great.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Fritz,
    I think the name is Misto. We have one. You just dump in some olive oil and it sprays out. It's also neat when you run out of Pam.

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]3 weeks (or so they tell me) until Eggporium2000 is finally complete. Plan on coming over and maybe bringing your friends. There's never a shortage of cold beer.[p]K~G