Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New cart, soliciting input

Options
NooBBQ
NooBBQ Posts: 134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
228397592-X3.jpg
<p />While I like some of the cart designs out there, I figure I try something else. With too much time on my hands, but not enough for all the details, take a look at the picture, and have at it.[p]Details:
15" wheelbarrow tires
same outward dimensions as a large table for the large egg
egg stand will have tabs, or some securing mechanism
pipe is 2" diameter, and I expect to have to weld some gussets.[p]Enjoy[p]nooBBQ

Comments

• nooBBQ,[p]When you open the lid the center of gravity changes and this looks kinda off balance.

• billt
    billt Posts: 225
    Options
    nooBBQ,
    assuming that is a large bge ,it looks to me a bit off balance with out some serious counter weight. my first thought was 'as soon as you lift the handle it is going to tip over due to the weight of the egg". dropping the height of the egg would help as well. better do the math/physics
    good luck
    bill

• NooBBQ
    Options
    228414274-X3.jpg
    <p />Taking both comments into consideration, and in the original view it is hard to tell, so see attached.[p]Unless I am mistaken, as long as I keep the CG inside the support points, the cart should not tip. In reality, the dimensions are the same as they are for a regular table, 54" x 27" or so.[p]Also with he lid open, the CG shifts a little bit, but not outside the the suppor points.[p]Still taking input.[p]nooBBQ
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    nooBBQ,
    You plannin on cookin on this thing or sending it to the moon...LOL...I do respect the out of the box attitude.[p]Wess

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    nooBBQ, Interseting design, but me thinks I would be hanging with my drinky-poo on the opposite end of the table from the EGG![p]Rascal

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    nooBBQ,[p]With an omni-directinal caster in the rear, you would not have to lift at all when moving across a deck or patio.[p]Was this drawn in Google Sketch?[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • NooBBQ
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]It is drawn in SketchupPro, Google sketch' big brother/sister. For this drawing though, could have easily been in Google sketch.[p]On the multidirectional caster, I am there with you, but was too much of a PITB to sketch that.[p]nooBBQ

• egginator
    Options
    nooBBQ,
    I like it, but consider getting rid of the cross pipe under the egg and using a plate so it looks like the egg is floating. Might check to see if that wheel will be in the way when cooking. Also, hot sparks seem to come out of the lower door periodically. May not be too good for a rubber inflated tire! It'd look cool with an opaque glass counter top. Of course the flexing when lifting would probably shatter the glass.[p]Ed[p]Ed

• billt
    billt Posts: 225
    Options
    nooBBQ,
    i am not a math or physics major so be mindful of taking my advise, but.. as you tilt the egg cart the center of gravity is going to rise and move backwards?? closer to the axel plane? also take into consideration where it will be moving from-to, is there a slope? or rise/fall? stones? pavers? etc that would require lifting the front higher.neat idea keep us posted
    bill

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    cooler%20scooter%20angled%20view.jpg
    <p />nooBBQ,[p]Maybe you can get some ideas from this....[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    nooBBQ,
    just an idea - but bear with me as I try to explain myself...with that design when you go to move it by raising the opposite end you MAY run the risk of it tipping foward thus dumping/breaking your exposed BGE. Since welding the frame seems to be no issue for you how about adding a short arm along with a small wheel slightly off the ground but between the two large wheels? Kinda like those wheels you see behind dragsters so when the power has lifted the front end off the ground it can't flip over. Make sense?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Drivr
    Drivr Posts: 163
    Options
    RRP,
    Wheelie bars? Cool!

• Pdub
    Pdub Posts: 234
    Options
    nooBBQ,
    I would want something to wrap around the egg near the top. Also something like a paver underneith. What happens if the metal under the egg conducted the heat thru the frame towards the handle. [p]Pdub

• Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    Options
    nooBBQ,[p]Yep, the center of gravity would be my major point of concern, with that much weight and $ on the back.[p]Can you add some type of bar, just like they do on cars to prevent it going up to a certain angle?[p]Figure someone who lost control and it flowed backward, and possibly, the dome opened, adding to inertia...
  • Flashback Bob
    Options
    nooBBQ,
    Good fer you, thinking out of the box!
    Based on my experience, I'd be concerned about that single handle in the front. [p]I started with two tires on one end and would lift the other end. Sucker was heavy and would wobble like an S.O.B. whenever I went over the lip into my garage (which was almost every day). I have since added casters to the front to facilitate easier movement. It will still wobbble going over bumps but it feels a lot more stable and I'm expending zero energy to keep it from tipping.[p] IMHO - Even if it doesn't want to tip over when you lift it, if you hit any kind of bump or uneveness in the paving, it will be hard to keep it from going over.