Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Building a Table

Frank
Frank Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm building my own table for an XL Egg out of cyprus. I'm leaning toward glueing up the boards for the top to effect a solid surface instead of installing the boards separately, leaving a space of say 1/2" between the boards. Any advise/preference on a solid surface or surface with open spaces between the boards? [p]The bottom shelf will have open spaces between the boards, the table will be on casters, and will be finished with several coats of a marine varnish.

Comments

• Frank,[p]This one was posted earlier. It looks good to me. What do you think ? [p]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/TableGallery/tables.htm
    [ul][li]Egg Cart[/ul]
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    tableclosed.jpg
    <p />Frank, I did the wood top, cedar planks spaced with 1/2-inch opening and stained. It lasted about 1 year, then started to turn ugly: worn with chips, burn marks, stains and warped boards. I scored a used corian top and did some other refinements. [p]table.jpg[p]I like this table much better. Pull out drawers for junk and open door storage for lump and grids. Solid surface is so easy to clean, just like the kitchen counter. My family may argue that I dont' know who to clean a kitchen counter....LOL. T

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Frank,[p]I used construction adhesive/glue to attach my tabletop boards. I left about 1/2 inch gaps. The glue I used is PL Premium adhesive. It's only about 4 months old now, so can't really say how well it works long term.[p]If you plan to use glue, make sure you do some reading about using glue for wood joinery. (Like glue joints in making furniture.) It's very important to firmly clamp your pieces together as the glue dries.
  • wrobs
    wrobs Posts: 109
    Frank,
    I made my tabletop out of Western Red Cedar and glued them together to make a solid piece. I used Gorilla glue and clamped them together until dry. I sealed it with a Spar urethane finish... about 10 coats. The table is 2+ years old and no problems to date.
    Robert

• Frank
    Thanks for all the comments. I have some left over corian from remodeling our kitchen a couple years ago that I decided to use on the top. Used a good portion of it to make a fish cleaning table a couple years ago. All my joint glue ups will be with mortise and tenon or with biscuits using yellow glue made for outside duty. What a neat forum - reminds me of a fishing forum I frequent.
  • Frank
    <a href=
    <p />Picture of my fish cleaning table, with a few fish on it - speckled trout, redfish and one flounder. Table is made from corian salvaged from a kitchen redo. Redfish is blocking the hole that the ugly stuff goes through in to a five gallon bucket - LOL.

• Frank
    Help posting pics - anybody. The pic showed up in preview but not in post. I normally use photobucket.

• looks like I got it right this time

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    frank,[p]If posting your pic in the "optional link URL" space below, then copy the direct link line from photobucket. On my photobucket account that is the top line under the photo. This option will make the photo appear at the top of your message and will create the mini camera icon next to your post title.[p]If posting the pin into the body of the message, the copy the HTML code line from photobucket and paste that in the message where you would like the photo to appear. On my photobucket account that is the second line under the photo. This will not create the camera icon, but will allow you to post multiple photos in the body of your message.[p]You can also use both methods to post one photo at the top and then more photos throughout the message.