Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wine in Brine?

Wardster
Wardster Posts: 1,006
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone ever used red wine in their brine ingredients? I'm not sure if there are any elements in wine that may counter act the purpose of brining.
Thanks, yet again.

Apollo Beach, FL

Comments

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Wardster,
    We brine a lot and a lot of things. Have not used wine, but have used apple and other juices. The juices impart a slight, subtle flavor that is nearly hidden by the salt, sugar and other spices. I think it would be a relatively expensive proposition to use wine for very little benefit. On the other hand, if you do it, please let us all know how it performed.
    Regards,
    Marvin

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Wardster,
    I have used wine in a brine. As Marvin mentioned, the white wine I added to a poultry brine went largely unnoticed, but I used a very sweet maple syrup dessert wine in with some poultry and it did impart a nice flavour. Held that idea through the cook, glazing the poultry (breasts) with a reduction consisting of more wine, maple syrup, brown sugar and some dried ancho powder to offset all that sweetness. Nice!
    Qfan

• Wardster,[p] No wine, but I brined a roast once in a concoction that was mostly Guinness! You could definitely taste it . . .[p]MikeO
  • Wardster,[p]Carefull with that wine, or you'll turn that brine into a marinade! :)[p]One of my favorite ways to treat a flank steak is with red onions sliced thin, and half a bottle of reasonably priced Cab/Merlot.[p]The thing to remember with wine, or vinegar in a brine or marinade is that both of these will denature the proteins on the surface (or as deep as you let it seep) of the meat. This denaturing will serve to tenderize the meat, but will also make it a bit drier or even end with a mushy texture. So be carefull, and watch your times.[p]Happy soaking,
    BC