Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

For TNW: re: Spatchcocked chicken

DavidR
DavidR Posts: 178
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
TNW, [p]I want to try your spatchcocked chicken, but from looking at the picture on your egg, I noticed that you had an elevated grid, but I couldn't see a drip pan. Do you cook them direct or indirect, and if it's indirect, can I use a plate setter with a drip pan? I'm a little worried about the drippings hitting the fire.

Comments

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    DavidR,[p]Hope you don't mind if I chime in. Spatchcocked chicken (IMHO) is done direct on a raised grid. I just simply set 2 fire bricks on their sides and set a grid on them. This elevates the chicken so you can cook direct @ 300/350 without burning. 30 minutes one side and 25 the other will probably do it. The end result is awesome.[p]Good luck![p]Mick

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    DavidR,
    Only because I see no reply, it is direct. Being on raised grid is a little more forgiving on keeping from grease flareups effecting the cook. I've done this many times with excellent results. TNW originally posted the raised grid method for convenience of flipping bird at a managable level on egg, like pizza. If you cook at factory level grid I would lower dome temp 25 degrees.
    Painter--It's good eatin

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    MickeyT.,
    Good reply, same wavelengh as I.
    Heat wave in the midwest today. Are you stuck at work?
    Painter

• DavidR,
    Like already posted, I do it direct. The fire isn't too hot and I guess the elevated grid will prevent scorching. I just stumbled into the idea to make it easier to flip the bird. One caveat, make sure that the birds are not on a portion of the grid directly over a firebrick. That part of the bird won't cook.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz,[p]I've done 4 or 5 spatchcocked chickens using your method (350*, raised grill, 20min/25min). It's almost perfect now except for one thing. I can't seem to get the very center of the breasts to cook thouroughly.[p]I've read somewhere that cutting the cartilidge around the breast bone and removing the bone allows for a more even cook. Would you suggest doing this, or do you have another way of ensuring that the breasts are cooked through?[p]Thanks,
    Ca-rnivore
    AKA Kevin Klostermann

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Ca-rnivore,
    Try and get it so that the tip of your thermometer (polder or whatever) is in the thickest part of the breast. When it reaches 165, you can be pretty sure it is done. Going simply by times does not work very well with grilling and Qing. If you just use times as a guideline, and other methods to determine doneness, you should have better results.[p]HTH
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy,[p]Thanks, for the info. I guess it's back to the drawing board, er, uhh, the grilling machine, yeah that's it! Now armed with more good advice, I've got them durn chickens in my sights![p]Thanks again,
    Ca-rnivore