Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

chicken soup

Options
tjv
tjv Posts: 3,830
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
mediumwoo2-2019.jpg
<p />getting that time of year again. This pot is simmering now. Any good tips or family secrets you wish to share. I wonder how it would taste with smoked chicken. I use beef paste in addition to chicken paste for added flavor, gotta watch the salt though as they are both salt heavy. T
www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.

Comments

• BlueRidge
    Options
    tjv,
    We have made a couple of soups now with the bones and leftover meat from brined turkey and once from a chicken. The brine solution really impacts the character of the soup...[p]I am planning on experimenting with brined/smoked bird soup.[p]The only thing I would say for family tips is to keep the soup simple...seems to work...

• tjv,[p]Leave the beans out and rename it.[p]Chili, Chicken, Beans, White, Richard

Well decided to do a white chili chicken today. Did a 7# Spatchcock recently and had lots of breast meat left over. So with the kind contributions from: Wardster, Lenscamp, Borders & Paula Deen here is what got cooked.
    [p]INGREDIENTS:
    3-4 Cups Chicken or Turkey Meat, Cooked, Diced
    2 Cups Great Northern Beans
    1/2 Stick Butter
    3 Cans Chicken Broth, Low Sodium
    2-3 Pieces Bacon, Crispy Cooked, Chopped Small
    2 Cans Green Chili, Diced
    1 Can Ro*Tel, Original
    1 1/2 White Onion, Diced
    1/2 Cup Diced, Red, Yellow & Green Chili Peppers
    1-2 Tbs Cumin, ground
    1 Tsp Crushed Red Peppers, Dried
    2 Tbs Minced Garlic
    2 Tbs Indian River Rainbow Pepper
    1/2 Cup Salsa, Medium Heat.

Procedure:
    1 Rinsed the northern beans and brought to a boil for 5 minutes. Turned off and let sit for an hour then rinsed again.
    2 Sauted onions, garlic and peppers in butter until onions are opaque. Olive oil will also work.
    3 Add the rest of the ingredients, bring to a boil and then simmer for 1 1/2-2 hours until the beans are cooked.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Poultry, Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 11/18/07

[p]

• billt
    billt Posts: 225
    Options
    tjv,
    i always use egg roasted chicken [lightly smoked] either left overs or i will roast a whole bird then dump it in the pot. if you are making your own stock be sure to add parsnip, rutabaga, onion and a bit of dill for that eastern european jewish chicken soup flavor. a bit of lemon juice in the stock helps break down the collagen so you get gelatenous stock. if i am making stock instead of using store bought i simmer chicken, bones etc. all day long with the root veggies and celery and parsley and then i discard them and the bones and return the meat to the stock and add fresh celery carrot and starch du jour. lately i have been using barley for the starch. makes a nice creamy textured soup. if you want smokey flavor but are using un-cooked chicken, cook some bacon in the bottom of your soup pot take it out and crumble it then saute the onion in the bacon fat before you add the liquid. return the bacon to the stock when you add the last set of veggies. bacon makes every thing better. i have been making between 1 and 3 gallons of soup every week during the cold weather for the last 12 years.

• tjv,
    Wow, you guys can read minds... I smoked a chicken this afternoon and the pot will be simmering till dinner. Then later tonight the Boston Butt goes in. Even though it doesnt get cold here by temp standards-Soup is still good food.