Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do I get the turkey skin crispy?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hmmmm. After world peace and a cure for AIDS, I wish for crispy skin on my turkey. I thought that by tenting the bird for the first three hours of the cook and then un-tenting it for the last hour might do the trick, but it didn't do the trick. I'm open to suggestions.[p]Thanks!

Comments

• CampCook
    CampCook Posts: 157
    Options
    JimiRayClapton,
    Try just a little corn starch sprinkled on the skin before it goes into the egg. This works for chicken and ought to work for turkey.
    Dave

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    JimiRayClapton,
    This year I did a breast and got skin so crispy it was hard to believe. I finally took the time to do what Harold McGee and others have suggested: Put the bird in your refrigerator uncovered 48 hours before you are ready to cook. This dries the skin out. Then I coated it with butter and just did a normal roast. Wow, what a difference![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Thanks guys. The tenting trick worked today but it doesn't always. I'll keep your suggestions in mind.