Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some help

Options
Wardster
Wardster Posts: 1,006
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am cooking dinner for 4 people tomorrow night and I'm looking to impress. I was thinking about Mr. Toads pork loin? Any comments? How about another hit anyone has tried?
Thanks

Apollo Beach, FL

Comments

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Wardster,[p]You can never go wrong with Toad's Pork Loin! Another to consider is NB's Righteous Chops. They're "DEEEE LISH"![p]Puj
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Wardster,[p]Pork loins are always a big hit with my family and friends. If you have the time and have the loin already, you may want to brine it also, brined pork loin is hard to beat in my opinion. I do an herb crusted pork loin thats pretty good and also do a chutney stuffed pork loin thats pretty good. I think the chutney that I use is in the recipe section, then just cut the loin like a jellyroll, slather the chutney on, roll it up, tie it up, and cook it. I like mine direct as it adds a nice crust to the meat. The herb crusted loin is just a paste of olive oil and some herbs, choose those that will go nicely together. Make the paste thick enough to stick to the meat and then put a good coating of it on the meat. Cook it direct just like the other one. I've combined both methods as well, chutney stuffed herb crusted pork loin and it was good, but a bit much. Too many flavors trying to compete with eachother.[p]Good luck with the dinner. I would recommend brining the loin, it really adds a nice flavor throughout the meat. It also protects the loin from drying out just in case you may get involved in the social side of the evening and accidentially over cook it a bit. Been there, done that, just passing on a bit of hard earned wisdom.[p]Troy
  • Wardster,
    Sprinter is right-on with the brine recommendation.
    If you have the time it is worth the trouble.
    I won't cook a pork loin with out a brine soak.
    Good luck...[p]GaryJ

• sprinter, do you do the jelly roll cut and then brine it? Also what brine recipe - as to date I've only brined poultry.

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    kat,[p]I've typically done the jellyroll after I brine it. Could be done before I guess but I'd shorten the brine time quite a bit if I did it in that order as the brine doesnt have to penetrate that large loin.[p]My typical brine recipe is just 1 cup of salt to 1 cup of sugar to a gallon of water. VERY basic measurements as the base. Then, what you add after that is up to you. I've substituted brown sugar or molasses or a mix in place of the white sugar. Its up to you but I always try to stay close to the base measurements. Add as many spices as you want on top of the 1/1/1 measurements, have fun with it. I use this basic recipe for all of my brines regardless of what I'm putting in it. Also, some say to boil the brine, then cool it, then add the meat. I've never boiled a brine mixture, just mix it up, be sure its cool, then add the meat. I can see where boiling would help meld the flavors but its an extra step I've never used.[p]Hope this helps.[p]Troy
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    sprinter,
    Can you be more precise on the jellyroll cutting?

Apollo Beach, FL
  • sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Options
    Wardster,[p]I think the pork loin would be a great cook to impress others. My only "impress others" cooks have been turkey and pizza. So, if you haven't considered it, and it's a bit less formal of an occassion, I'd offer pizza as a choice. I don't recall if you have prior pizza experience, so if you haven't the pork loin seems to me to be a much safer route for an "impress others" cook.[p]Enjoy[p]--sdb[p]PS- I've been meaning to try that pork loin recipe myself.