Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butternut Squash Recipe

Options
edbro
edbro Posts: 300
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've seen pictures of people doing butternut squash on the egg before. How are they done? Anybody got any good recipes?[p]by the way; the search function on this forum is worthless!

Comments

• edbro,[p]Does this help??[p]Squash, Butternut, Twice Baked, QBabe
    [p]INGREDIENTS:
    1 Whole Butternut Squash
    Butter
    Brown Sugar
    Cinnamon
    Nutmeg
    Vanilla
    Pecans, or Honey Roasted Nuts

Procedure:
    1 Heat the egg up to 375°F. Set up for an indirect cook. (i.e. platesetter or firebricks to block the direct heat and provide ceramic mass).
    2 Slice Butternut squash in two and remove seeds. Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray and place squash cut side down. Bake on the BGE for about an hour, or until squash is soft when pressed with your fingers and leaves an indentation.
    3 Remove softened squash from skins and put into mixing bowl. Now, here's where you'll have to go by judgement and taste, since how much of these ingredients you add will depend on how much squash you've got. Add butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and vinalla. Mix well!
    4 Fill several custard dishes (ramakins) with squash mixture. Take some pecans, chop them, mix them with a little brown sugar (or you can use some of the pre-fab honey roasted nuts), and sprinkle the sugary nuts on top of each dish with squash.
    5 Put back on the cookie sheet and back into BGE for about 15-20 minutes, until the top is caramalized and the squash warm througth out.
    6 ENJOY! Tonia

Recipe Type
    Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Author: Tonia, QBabe[p]Source: BGE Forum, QBabe, 10/09/05

[p]

• edbro
    Options
    Richard Fl,
    Thanks Richard, I'll give this a try.

• edbro,[p]For future searches try in Google " big green egg---subject"[p]When they get to a page in google click on it and the archives usually pop up.
    Hit "CTRL F" and type in what you are looking for, this works most of the time. HTH.

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    SquashSmall.jpg
    <p />edbro,[p]I half them, clean the seeds, coat with EVOO and sprinkle with some dry rub. Then I cook them indirect at 325 for about an hour.[p]Then I add 1 Tbsp or brown sugar and 1 Tbsp butter to each half in the seed hollow. Cook until the butter melts and the squash has the consistency of a baked potato.[p]Take it off the grill, mix it all together, and eat it directly out of the shell.[p]
  • mb168
    mb168 Posts: 265
    Options
    edbro,[p]My mom brought a Butternut Squash Chowder for Thanksgiving last week and we liked it so much I bought 2 a smoked them to make ourselves. She bought a jar of pureed butternut squash from William Sonoma because they were making it when she walked in the store but you can easily cook it on the egg and complete the recipe from their site.

• edbro
    Options
    mb168,
    Wow, that looks great. I'll have to give that one a try also. [p]I just finished Qbabe's recipe that Richard pointed me to and that was great also. It reminded me of the sweet potato casserole I had for Thanksgiving.

• mb168
    mb168 Posts: 265
    Options
    edbro,[p]It is very good, I was surprised. When we made it we also used a thick bacon and that made it even better. Need to make another batch but it really is nice on a cool day and it's supposed to be low 70's tomorrow and maybe cooler by Tuesday eve so maybe Monday I'll do the squash with dinner and make soup Tuesday.
  • hotjerklegs-0062.jpg
    <p />Fidel,
    oh yeah? take this! heheh[p]hotjerklegs-011.jpg