Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Did I over-fill my egg? Trouble with temp.

BlueRidge
BlueRidge Posts: 84
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,[p]I was hoping to have a repeat of my Thanksgiving success but I'm not sure it's going to happen.[p]I loaded the egg per the MadMax method but perhaps a bit more lump...certainly the lump is no more than an inch below the plate setter (feet up)and I just cann't get the temp up to 400. I put the bird on about 20 minutes ago and I will make it work but it's not the way I had planned it and for whatever reason that bugs me.[p]Is there too much lump in the grill decreasing air flow?[p]Jay

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    BlueRidge,
    could be. that's a LOT of lump you have in there. if it's smaller bits, it will impede airflow a bit. [p]shouldn't take too long, though. only when lump is damp have i truly seen a fire stall. even when there's a lot of lump in there, it should get up to temp. any amount of damp lump, though, seems to hold a fire back.[p]gonna just have to give it time. maybe blow a hairdryer in the lower vent if you are really in a hurry.[p]...if the fire has been going a long time, though, and is still too low, fashion a coat hanger into a wiggle road and jiggle (actually, 'wiggle' i guess) the lump thru the fire grate from the lower vent door. that will loosen any ash, if that's the issue.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike,
    Thanks. Funny though... If I look into the bottom of the egg through the air vent...it was glowing red...like a t-rex fire. The heat from the bottom vent was intense. Also, when I opened the lid there was a small flash back, so that made me think that the fire was a bit starved for air.
    The bird seems to be cooking (browning) much faster than I would have anticipated for a 350-400 cook...c'est la vie!
    We'll make it work one way or another.
    Jay

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    BlueRidge,
    why are you cooking at 400 and not 325?

• tach18k,
    I was (am) following Alton Brown's "Honey Brined Smoked Turkey" recipe. He calls for a 400 degree cook....

[ul][li]http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_29147,00.html[/ul]
  • BlueRidge,[p]Is the thermometer stuck into the BIRD?
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• Billy Grill Eggster,
    No...there is plenty of free space there. The grill is now at temp...just took FOREVER and a day. I don't think I will load 'er up like that again!
    JaY

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    BlueRidge,
    glad it working, just curious, how cold is it there??

• tach18k,
    Just saw your post...
    What a day! Blue sky with clouds comming...60-65 degrees and a nice breeze. I love western NC. Winter weather is like a box of choc's...you never know what you're going to get.[p]Took the kids to "Farmer Nesbit's" today and cut down the "perfect" Christmas tree today. Just finished a turkey sandwich with bird, stuffing, sugar-carrots, pearl onions and spicey cranberry chutny![p]The bird turned out increadly good. I think the best turkey I have ever made. I will absolutly do it again. I made a few variations that worked well too....apple/onion/cinnamin/lemon/bunch of rosemary/thyme in cavity and same herbs under skin.....[p]Now I need a beer and a nap.[p]Too bad tomorrow is Monday.....