Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yet Another Turkey Thread? Oy Veh!

Options
BlueRidge
BlueRidge Posts: 84
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We are doing Thanksgiving again today because it was so much fun last week...and it's my birthday so I can do whatever I feel like doing![p]I'm going to try AB's honey smoked turkey that he does on the grill. He calls for the bird to be cooked indirect at 400 with the bird on the grid.[p]Anybody think it's a better idea to put her in a roasting pan?[p]Happy Saterday.
Jay[p]

Comments

• BlueRidge,
    i'm doin another one today also... kind of a modified mad max cause i'm putting it on the grid.[p]time to put the fire to the coal![p]

• BlueRidge
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    Good morning...glad I'm not the only one jonesin' for more turkey leftovers![p]How are you doing your bird today? Spatchcocked? Low and slow? Interesting rub?[p]Good luck and enjoy the day.[p]Jay

• EGGTASTIC
    Options
    BlueRidge,[p]WOW! I can't believe all the eggers doing Turkey today! Doing a Mad Max. Did one last Saturday and the kids ate it all! Only got 1 meal for myself! (Thanksgiving bird was done by my mother-in-laws and let's just say THANK GOODNESS FOR GRAVY!) On Saturday the kids said "This is WAY better than Grandma's!" Going to change up the gravy and skip the wine this time. (I liked it but kids were not used to the taste.) Other than that, 100% Mad Max BUT I brined. Started brining when I bought my egg and can't believe the difference! Won't do whole poultry without it!

• Susan Egglaine
    Options
    EGGTASTIC!,
    What type of brine do you like to use? How long do you brine? Is it based on the weight of the poltury? I have a chicken I was going to do tonight. Good luck with your bird!

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    BlueRidge,
    Those of you who have English spouses like I do, (doesn't everyone?) will understand that there is probably one more turkey in your future for the year at Christmas.... Mad Max's web page will return! (well, it's still there, just not on the front page, lol)[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • BlueRidge,
    pretty much following the mad max turkey recipe and making the gravy, then taking it all down to cincinnati for a party later..............

• EGGTASTIC
    Options
    Susan Egglaine,[p]The one I like the best is the one listed in Brant's Brined Beer-Butt Bird. (In the forum recipe section) When I do a Turkey I do not use the red wine vinegar. I let it brine for 12 hours. If I have a whole chicken, I do it exactly as the recipe states. It is FANTASTIC! I usually do 2 7-8 lb chickens at a time and I brine them at the same time. I make one batch of the brine and finish with water until the chicken's are covered. When I do my turkey, I do not use the vinegar and I fill the container with water until the turkey is covered. I refrigerate it for 12 hours. Real sweet/honey taste. Kids and wife love it!

• Susan Egglaine
    Options
    THANKS!!
    I will get out another chicken and plan on this for tomorrow.