Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Black Bear Meat

UGAVET
UGAVET Posts: 577
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, One of the guys on the construction crew building our new house killed a black bear a couple of weeks ago. I fixed pulled pork for them last week and after eating that he has asked me to cook a 20-25lb bear ham this weekend. All he could tell me was that they produce a ton of grease. I have heard that its best to use lots of garlic when cooking them to help mask some of the gamey taste so i plan on cutting pockets and shoving in whole cloves of garlic in this thing and will probably use one of my cheaper barbeque rubs. Any better advise would be greatly appreciated. I'm cranking up the XL as i type to handle this thing. I am thinking it needs to cook to about what i would cook a BB or Brisket internal temp. I am concerned that i will have to reload the xl with lump if i put the platesetter between the fire box and fire ring to put a deep drip pan vs setter on top with a shallow pan as it may not be deep enough to catch all the fat drippings. any thoughts?[p]

Comments