Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about Nu Temp thermometer

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have just gotten a Nu Temp 701. For pulled pork I guess I should use the low-temp alarm and insert the probe into the hole in the dome where the standard thermometer goes. [p]Am I close to right?

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Don,
    Or you can shove the probe through the daisy wheel.[p]Overall what you describe is a good method to wake you up if the temp goes too low. I'll do my cooks at 250, and set my alarm for 225. If the dome temp drops below 225, it wakes me up, and I still have time to adjust the vents before I lose the fire.[p]I'd say you be purty close to right on. When is the big cook?
    Beers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy,
    Thanks for the response. Start Friday night about 8 or 9. Eat about 5 or 6 Saturday. Ordered two butts each about 7-8 lbs. [p]This is my second pulled pork. Did my first the weekend after Christmas. Turned our great. Wanted to make sure everything went OK so I didn't get much sleep. Was curious about the whole process. Once I finally got my temp stabilized it went like clock-work.

• Don,[p]I have two of the 701's and love them :)[p]I insert the probe into the meat 'for the meat temp' and run the wire out and just let the dome close down on it. You may want to cover the wire with a layer or two of aluminum foil as many people have had the temp. run away on them and have unfortunatly burned out their probe and or wire. Just a added safety step. [p]What I do for the low temp is to stick my second probe.. for the low temp... into a potato and just set that on the grill next to the meat I am cooking. The potato gets all cooked up but I seem to get a more stable reading with that extra buffer between the air and the probe tip with this type of "instant" read thermometer.[p]Just my two cents. Happy Egging BB