Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Aligator

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had the fortune to have access to some aligator meat from a friend of mine. I decided to try and smoke it on the BGE with some alder wood that I use for fish. It turned out very good. I slathered it in mustard and soaked it in Zatarains crab boil for about 30 minutes. It went quickly with no complaints. I have the ribs also and can't wait until I can get those on the BGE. I don't think that I will go for a long cook as pork or beef. Maybe cut the cooking time in half.[p]Anyone ever try aligator ribs on the egg??[p]KT

Comments

• PuppyBreath,[p]I would say just like chicken but it is actually better. It is a white meat, I smoked the tail, and has a sweeter taste to it than chicken. It is not a taste that you have to aquire because it is very good ( at least to me). If you like fish then no problem, you will like aligator. They sell it down South ( Gulf Coast ) at most of the seafood markets. There are several farms that raise aligators for meat and hides. Because they are still protected you cannot trap, catch or kill them without a permit. I was lucky in someone having more than they needed and was looking to get rid of it.[p]I still prefer it blackened with cajun spices but the smoked turned out good too. I had to watch it close to make sure it didn't over cook and dry out.[p]I will see if any of the farms around town ship out meat or take orders. They are probably wholesalers and have someone who buys all there meat and distributes around to the stores.[p]KT
  • KT,[p]Several places on the internet sell aligator meat. I like the Cajun Grocer. Click on the food tab, then on aligator untder the fresh food heading.[p]-Kevin

• Sorry, I goofed the link.[p]It's www.cajungrocer.com[p]Kevin
    [ul][li]Aligator meat[/ul]
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    KT,
    I've only done aligator tail meat once on the grill but not the egg. That turned out a bit on the tough side. Maybe the egg could retain some of the moisture.
    And in all my time, I've never heard of anybody doing aligator ribs. Where'd you pick that up?

• Shelby,[p]I got the whole aligator. It was a take it or leave it offer. Aligator ribs are common around here, although I have never done any on the BGE. Pork is my family's favorite so there is no reason to try any other kind. I have the ribs and thought I might give them a try. If you try and go slow with a drip pan and don't over cook, it makes all the difference. Aligator is like venison, it drys out fast and will be tough. The best way or my favorite is to take a cast iron skillet and blacken it with cajun spices. [p]KT

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    KT, I've never had ribs; sounds great. We took alligator (tail) bites to serve at the Fiery Foods Show in Albuquerque one year. I prepared it the same way I do my chicken wings; jerked and rolled in Parmesan cheese. It was quite a hit. Recipe is on Chicken Wing post below. JCA

• KT,
    well, as said, i've never tried aligator but i once had cougar (sweet and sour) served to me and the house i was eating at had a cat. i looked at the cat and looked at my dish, and looked at the cat...etc. i just could not get that cougar into my mouth. I had to apologize and leave the table...lol
    it's not legal to shoot cougar up here (Canada) but this one was coming around the house a bit much and my friends brother click...bang (gives me a lump in my throat as i write)
    Puppy

• bbqbeth
    bbqbeth Posts: 178
    J Appledog,
    Good to see a correct spelling...how are yall?[p]Happy New Year![p]BBQBeth

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    KT,
    If aligator ribs are "common around here"...where is "here"?

• Shelby,[p]I have been getting aligator over at a seafood market in Pass Christian MS. It's called Darlene's on market street down from the middle school. They have ribs and tail and sausage meat. It's close to you but you should be able to get them somewhere around you. I will call and see if I can find out the supplier's location.[p]KT
  • PuppyBreath,[p]Never cooked it on the egg (actually, never cooked it period), but I have had it many times in restaurants. It is really one of my favorite meats. I would describe the flavor as a mixture between chicken and shrimp. Very, very good.[p]- Mike[p]