Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Time Brisket

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am looking to make my first brisket on the egg this weekend and I am looking for favorite approaches to cooking this type of meat. I enjoy my steak rare to medium rare...will that work with a brisket or do they need to be more done than that?

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Robb,[p]Don't cook a brisket to a level of doneness, cook it to internal temp of at least 190, and preferably 195. If you don't cook it to 190 or higher you better have chainsaws to cut it.[p]Prep you brisket with a dry rub or spices and sugar, then let it sit overnight. Cook it indirect at a dome temperature of 240-250. Once it hits 195 internal take it off, wrap it in foil, then in a heavy towel, then put it in a cooler for 2 hours. Then remove, slice against the grain, and enjoy.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Robb,[p]There are others on the forum who can give you excellent advise on brisket. As a brisket newbie, I can tell you one thing. Brisket rare or medium rare will be so tough that it will be close to inedible. Brisket is a classic lo-n-slo cook, where the meat is ever so slowly brought to 190+ degrees, thereby melting the tough callagen without drying the meat out.[p]gdenby

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    Robb,
    Briskets are very different from steak, as I sure you know. In my opinion you cannot cook a brisket to the same doneness as steak. Briskets need long and lower cooking temps to come out right. Certain steaks can be almost raw and still be tender. Undercooked brisket will probably have the texture of a 1978 Converse Chuck Taylor Allstar sneaker. I might be closer to a 79 Allstar but 78 was a much better year IMO.[p]Good luck
    Mike

• Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    Robb,
    Just a quick tip. Cut a notch in the end against the grain. With all the rub on there it maybe difficult to determine which way the grain goes after cooking.

• Robb,[p]I think the NakedWhiz write-up is very good. Like everyone else has said, medium rare brisket will be less tender than well-done shoe leather. I cook mine at 230 degrees (+ or-) until the temp begins to climb out of that 195-ish plateau. One time I let it go for a while after it exited the plateau and the meat went from firm and tender to kind of mushy.[p]
    [ul][li]http://nakedwhiz.com/brisket.htm[/ul]
  • DonDon
    DonDon Posts: 89
    Options
    Fidel,
    a half and half mix of Creole butter marinade and beef broth and since I started doing that, WOW big difference. It was great, now It's awesome and have people ask me to cook them one after they taste mine

• Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    DonDon,
    Try a couple other items. Do a search for Rick's Sinful Marinade. I have also marinaded in Stubbs Beef Marinade.

• Salmon
    Salmon Posts: 146
    Options
    Buster Dog BBQ,[p]Here is the RSM, I have made a few changes however over the past summer. I skip the water, add two tablespoons beef base and for the rub I use Cowtown steak...[p]Rick’s Sinful Marinade[p] 12 oz. can of beer
     ½ cup cider vinegar
     ½ cup of water
     ½ cup Worcestershire sauce
     ¼ cup olive oil
     1 tablespoon beef base
     2 tablespoons barbeque sauce
     1 tablespoon Season salt (or your favorite rub)
     1 tablespoon celery seed
     1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
     1 teaspoon MSG[p]Mix the ingredients and baste as necessary, or add when wrapping at [p]Rick

• JDub
    JDub Posts: 23
    Options
    Mike in Abita,[p]I wish I still had my '78 Chucks. Although I wouldn't have believed it then, they are actually collectors items now and worth big $$. Who would have thunk it.