Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cornish hen

Von B.
Von B. Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Need help for cornish hens. Can anyone help?

Comments

• Vonb,[p] Check out the link below.[p]MikeO
    [ul][li]JJ's Parmesan Game Hen[/ul]
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Vonb, I just came back with a quick glance before leaving town..Cornish hens are delicious and easy to do. I have used the smaller beer bottles half full of juice or beer, and no problems with stand up cooks. Willy Chicken Sitters are the choice to make if they are a favorite of yours.[p]My next cook with them will be a dozen of em stuffed with oranges or apples, coated with olive oil and dusted with rubs, and all grilled breast side up on a flat grill over a drip pan or two. Maybe three pie plates if they fit. Keeping the second grill several inches over the drip pan. This will give a very uniform cook to the little hens. 350 degrees for around 1.5 hours...check em like a big bird for breast temps. They are yummmmmmmy...
    Lots help coming in behind me also....great cooks here.[p]Char-Woody[p]

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Vonb,
    A basic game hen is just a little salt and pepper and perhaps a touch of cayenne. Then breast side up at 300F for 1.5 hours. You can leave them on longer and you won't hurt them.
    JimW

• Vonb,
    Thanks guys got to do about 10 of them tomorrow for a few friends and had never tried on the egg before. Thanks again. Von

• Vonb,
    Fabulous understates this cooking method. This is for 2 birds.
    Split each hen down its back and open it up like a book. Put hens on on a roasting pan. Squeeze a lemon or two, lime if you have it and an orange over the hens, then place the fruit pieces under the hens.
    In a food processor, add 5 garlic cloves, cleaned and mashed, 1.5 tsp kosher salt, two tbsp paprika(hungarian), 2 tsp cumin SEED, 1 tsp ground ginger, 1/4 tsp cayenne or 1 tsp habanero pepper sauce such as Melinda's and 1/4 cup olive oil. Process it into a brick colored paste, slather it on the birds and let rest at least one hour at room temp before roasting.
    Place fruit on grill over fire-brick/drip pan and birds on top. Bake @ 400 dome about and hour till juices flow clear when pierced with fork. Serve immediately, discarding fruit.[p]L[p]

• Vonb,
    All the advice you have gotten is great. To confuse you more,rub hens in olive oil, rub outside and under skin with jamacian jerk rub, and brush with raspberry glaze the last 10-15 minutes of cooking.[p]You can find recipes for a jerk rub and the raspberry glaze in the recipe section under marinades, sauces and rubs. You can use a store bought jerk rub if you can find in store. [p]The sweetness of the glaze will contrast with jerk rub and in combination will burst with flavor when consumed.[p]You can cook on a sitter, or cut along the backbone and spread. Either way will be great. If you cook on a sitter I would put something under them between meat and fire. If you lay flat, I'd cook them direct, and turn several times in 1 1/2 hours. Don't put glaze on until the end of cook, as the sugar will char and burn.[p]grillin bill