Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RV camping and the small BGE advice sought.....

GenesGrill
GenesGrill Posts: 308
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
looking at buying a small BGE (already have a medium in a table on my deck) to take on camping trips, and will probably use an egg transporter made of plywood like WessB referred to earlier in my previous post. I have a small 20' Pleasureway Excel (class B van conversion) with little extra room inside. You guys that carry the egg on camping trips with your RV....do you carry your egg insdie the camper? What type carrier do you use, if any? If leaving the campground for a few hours to visit a local attraction, do you leave you egg unattented at your RV site, or take it with you?? Sorry for so many questions, but I'm trying to get some ideas from you guys with experience in this area. I also understand that some campgrounds are getting stricter about grills outside and leaving them outside at night because the food smell attracts bears....

Comments

• Apple
    Apple Posts: 49
    GenesGrill, We travel/camp with a mini-not the small-all the time. Perfect size for 2 people + travel. It fits right into a large size Lands End canvas boat bag. Easy to carry, easy to pack. Happy Holidays, Steve.

• GenesGrill,
    I carry a small all the time. I have a class A and have room in my cargo bays, and I now have a wooden carrier that makes into a table when I get there. Before the table, I just used to duct tape the lid closed and wrap it in a moving pad and put it on its side and block it up so it wouldn't move. Always worked just fine. Also, I have never put mine away at night. See-Yaa

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    GenesGrill,
    can you mount a platform on the back and keep it with the conversion van setup. some of these swing out sideways and you would be able to cook on the platform without having to move it. with one of these you could bring a bigger egg. ive never seen a bear go after a grill, food in coolers yes, but not a grill or food over a fire etc.

[ul][li]platform[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    fishlessman, Thing is, if you get rear-ended you could lose your butt! 8 - )

• GenesGrill,[p]I bought one last spring specifically for camping. I can post pics later of my rig. I use the normal carrier that you have seen on this site. I put a towel in between the egg and the carrier and I criss cross a cinch strap to keep it from moving in the carrier. I toss this assembly into the trailer up against the base of the bed (toward the hitch) on the floor (carpet). I am most concerned about a quick stop and it sliding forward, hitting something and breaking. It has never moved from that spot. I also carried it in the same way from the mothership to Tampa florida, and then back to Flint Michigan in the back of my Pick up with no issues.[p]I don't put the rain cap or the daisey on for breaking purposes. I have made a "Carrier" for all the accessories from a plastic tub and cut out foam. I put the plate setter, rain cap, daisey, and the little green feet, and some other stuff in there. I Can put this anywhere it will fit because every thing is padded and separated in there.[p]I generally leave it outside, just not right out in front of my camper. The carrier is looking a little abused from being out in the rain and weather. I used Gorilla glue to make mine because I knew it would be outside so much. I am thinking I probably should have used pressure treated wood. You might want to consider that.[p]I'll post some pics later, after the bar, so they might be blury...LOL.[p]E
  • GenesGrill,
    I have a small that I take camping with me. I also built one of the carriers from WessB's site. Seems to work fine, have not had wildlife (nock on wood) problems. I just set the small in the transporter all assembled and set it on the floor of the garage of my toyhauler and away I go. It does not seem to move at all. I am in the process of coating the carrier with polyurathane (sp) to help with the weather aspect as the carrier stays outside while camping.
    HTH
    Wayne

• GenesGrill,
    i take the medium with me to the nascar races. take out the guts and it's not bad to lift and carry to the back between the twin beds, place on the carpet, and bungee it to the nightstand, put the innards back in and shim with cardboard (probably not necessary). the grid, charcoal grate, and dfmt ride in the storage bin underneath.[p]i use a bicycle cable to lock it to the back wheel when we go to the race at indy. at michigan and bristol, i just leave it out cause it's safe.

• greg
    greg Posts: 25
    i have a mini and it fits under my pullout couch--just maake sure it is out-never tiped over--pull it out--have a soap stone 8x8 to put it on on the picinic table yogie--works greaat--did everything from baby back ribs to steaks to veggies to taters-also have a large at home
  • Genesgrill[p]Here are the pics.[p]PC010126.jpg[p]PC010127.jpg[p]PC010128.jpg[p]PC010129.jpg[p]PC010130.jpg[p]PC010131.jpg