Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza question

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a plate setter--can i cook a pizza right on top of it or do I still need a stone?

Comments

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Sophie,
    A stone would be best. The Big Green Egg pizza stone is thicker and better than most others you'll find.[p]I cook pizzas platesetter legs up, grid on top of the legs and then the stone on the grid. That way you avoid a very hot spot on the stone that may burn your pizzas.

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Sophie,[p]You can do it. It isn't the best choice, but it works.[p]Use parchment paper if you can to better prevent burning of the crust bottom.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    dhuffjr,
    I use the same setup. -RP

• dhuffjr,
    I also have some fire bricks that I thought i could put under the plate setter to take away some of the direct heat. Wouldn't this give me the same effect as a plate setter and stone?

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    sophie,
    That would work. Stones on top of grid underneath the setter on the grid legs down. Put those stones right up against each other. in a square/rectangular formation to act as a fire block/heat shield. Tge key is air gap between heat shield and pizza cooking surface. [p]The area of the platesetter is smaller so your pizzas will need to be a bit smaller than what you can get away with on a stone.

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    sophie,[p]The fire bricks will work, but add a considerable amount of mass to the egg that needs to be well preheated before cooking a pizza. Make sure the egg is well heated and has to be well restricted to hold the temp down to the cooking temp before cooking the pizza and you will be fine.[p]Spin
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Sophie, if you have the plate setter and firebricks, I'd put the plate setter in legs down and then the firebricks on top of that. make sure the entire set up is preheated (I like 550 or so)and then use a sheet of Reynolds NonStick foil between the firebricks and pizza. Be careful. That stuff is so nonstick that if you pull it hard enough the pizza will slide right off (and into the fire).