Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib 2nd Try

Options
Eager Egger
Eager Egger Posts: 236
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Awhile back I cooked my first prime rib roast on my LBGE.
E85G5098_resize.jpg
Inside
E85G5101_resize.jpg
It came out perfectly, but had very little flavor, possibly due to teh fact it was so lean. I am going to ask that this one be cut from the fat end of the rib cut. Does anyone have a recipe that ads just a bit of flavor to the roast? I found a bunch of recipes, but would rather have a recommendation from someone that has some experience.
Mike

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    EagerEgger,
    I was going to suggest a bone-in, but looks like that is what you cooked. I think I saw where LR put some garlic cloves in one.[p]Mike

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    EagerEgger,
    They do seem to be bland most of the time unless you buy a high dollar cut. I normally over season the outside so when I slice it mixes with the juices and I pour it over the sliced pieces. As others have also said, insert garlic and a little rosemary into the roast helps as well.
    Sure looks good....
    Darian

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Mike,[p]Here is a link to my post from about a week ago. The rib roast turned out fantastic because of the injection. I think the next one I'll do (this weekend) will have the "Cajun Butter" injection instead of the Garlic/Herb flavor I used on the last one.[p]Good luck with the cook![p]-Mike

[ul][li]Rib roast results...[/ul]
  • EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    From the looks of the pictures, you have the cooking part down as things look very, very good. Every piece of meat is different and perhaps you just got a "bum steer"...it happens. I routinely do prime rib for my wife's catering company and we keep things very simple. I take two big handfulls of peeled, whole garlic cloves and toss them into a food processor. I also put in some EVOO, some sea salt and peppercorns and pulse into a thick, gooey, garlicy paste. I cover the beast with it and commence to cookin' and they always come out great. Not necessarily very fancy but tasty.[p]Keep'n it simple![p]ed

• EagerEgger,[p]Looks like you did it right. A good cut of PR shouldn't need too much "doctoring" up other than salt & pepper. When I look for a PR in my local store, I look for a good size of a fat ball between the outer lip and main part of the meat. Usually the size of a half-dollar or larger. You also want to see more fat pieces within the center part of the meat as well. [p]Over Thanksgiving weekend, I went to the store because PR was on sale. Didn't have that ball of fat large enough for my liking. They also had bone-in rib eye steak for sale with a good size fat ball at the same price as the PR. I asked the buther if he could cut me a roast size rib eye, and walla...there it was. One of the best rib roasts ever. I've also done the opposite when the PR looked good and the rib eyes not so good.
  • Big Hoser
    Options
    eddiemac,[p]I love your recipe for prime rib but, unfortunately, can't cook it anymore! I developed acid reflux and all that delicous garlic burns my stomach and throat. Sucks. I now use the Prime Rib seasoning that comes in one of the Costco multi-spice pack and it's GOOD (also comes with Northern Italian, French Roasting spice, Herbes de Provence, etc.). I still make slits in the meat and insert a few thinly sliced garlic cloves, but that's all my stomach can handle, unfortunately.[p]-Dan

• Eager Egger
    Options
    Mike: Thanks. I considered the injection and this gives me an idea on what to use. I think I have some of the Cajun Butter Injectiom. Let me know how your second try goes.
    Mike

• Eager Egger
    Options
    eddiemac, You may be absolutely correct on getting a bum steer :-) I did pick up a 3 bone prime rib this evening. It was cut from the big or fat end of the rib section.
    Mike