Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking Hams

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am in Australia and want to smoke some small hams for my family for christmas, does anyone know how to do it? Do I buy a cooked ham or a raw piece of pork?? Please Reply

Comments

• Eggoholic
    Options
    Paul Kelly,
    Did a 22lb ham for thanksgiving (raw). Brown sugar and cinnamon graham crackers. Cooked 250 8hrs or so, until was 160

• mitch
    mitch Posts: 25
    Options
    Paul Kelly,
    If you want it to be "pink" and taste like store bought ham, you'll need to cure the meat before you smoke it. If you just want to smoke it (AKA BBQ)do it like a butt.

• Mitch, cheers for that, I may as well buy a nice ham and then smoke it after, have you done this before? Just put it on very low and loads of smoke?

• smoking paul
    Options
    sven,
    so it was more like a roast then, not the pink one? Mitch told me to get a cured ham and then smoke it, will give it a go.

• Paul Kelly,
    I can't speak from experience with a BGE, but back in my Weber Kettle days, I'd use a 'green' (raw) butt or shoulder, cook with indirect heat, and use a s-l-o-w burn.
    So, if you use a ham that's already cooked, you end up with a ham that's already cooked. Microwaves are really faster.....JMHO.[p]****

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    Paul Kelly,
    If you want to do a fresh ham then you smoke to an internal temp of 150 to 160. It will taste more like pork roast then a cured ham. I like to inject the fresh ham with a maple & coke based mixture. Roast indirect at 325 to the 150 internal. I geta nice bone in ham to smoke. Good luck, Tom