Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT:fillet knife

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm shopping for a fillet knife for my son this xmas, would like to keeep it under $50.00....any ideas???

Comments

• Lionel,
    Check link. Get the 7" model like this one. This is all I used for years. Holds up well and stays sharp. Relatively inexpensive.
    Mike

[ul][li]http://www.boatersworld.com/product/478620958.htm[/ul]
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Lionel,
    Dont own a filet knife so I can`t really help ya..but wanted to say that I don`t personally consider this type of post....."OT"....we are all cooking here, and things that can improve our cooks...ie....knives, therms, pans, etc. to me at least...are on topic...
    I love my Wusthof knives, and am also very pleased with my Forschner buthers knife...[p]Wess

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    IMG_0711.jpg
    <p />Lionel,
    I second what Mike said - though the site was confusing - this baby has a SHARP THIN blade 7.375" long. Even though it is cheap by normal knife cost standards it is well made and readily available at any good sporting goods store (and maybe even some discount stores) and will last for years. I treat mine like it is worth FAR more than what I paid and trust me, it is razor sharp right out of the leather sheath!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Lionel,
    Not sure what you'll be fileting, but if its larger fish, I would want a kidney spoon. Take a look at the Gerber coho model, its my favorite.

• Avocados
    Avocados Posts: 465
    Options
    Lionel,[p]I really like the Dexter-Russell filet knives. They are durable and hold a good edge. [p]Have used many different types (and higher cost) knives over many years and have settled on these after noticing that many of the professional guides/captains using them.[p]You might want to also consider some type of small, portable sharpening stone to go with the gift as having a sharp edge makes all the difference for quick, efficient filleting of fish. [p]Also, if he mostly fishes for small freshwater varieties of fish, a 6 or 7 inch might knife might be better than the 8" size.
    [ul][li]http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_72221_151006005_151000000_151006000_151-6-5[/ul]
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Lionel,
    cabelas has a good selection, my brother has this one and its pretty nice, check theothers, theres a good price range to choose from. i have the global version at home, more dollars and can say i dont use it for fish as much as the global deba or the orishi style bunmei, mostly use it for removing skin. the stiffer knifes seem better for the actual fillet cut, the flexible ones for slicing the skin off a fillet placed skin side down working the knife against the counter flat.

[ul][li]cabelas[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • EggspertMN
    Options
    Lionel,
    I own this knife. I thought it was a bit extravagant, but it is the best I have ever seen. Lifetime guarantee for sharpness. only available in Walker MN at Reeds Sporting Goods

[ul][li]leech lake Filet knife[/ul]
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    EggspertMN,
    that's one beautiful pig sticker! I bookmarked that site for the next time I go on a buying spree!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • EggspertMN,
    I agree with Ron, I'll save that on for myself....