Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Smoking Hams

edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am in Australia and want to smoke some small hams for my family for christmas, does anyone know how to do it? Do I buy a cooked ham or a raw piece of pork?? Please Reply
·

Comments

• Paul Kelly,
    Did a 22lb ham for thanksgiving (raw). Brown sugar and cinnamon graham crackers. Cooked 250 8hrs or so, until was 160

·
  • mitchmitch Posts: 25
    Paul Kelly,
    If you want it to be "pink" and taste like store bought ham, you'll need to cure the meat before you smoke it. If you just want to smoke it (AKA BBQ)do it like a butt.

·
  • Mitch, cheers for that, I may as well buy a nice ham and then smoke it after, have you done this before? Just put it on very low and loads of smoke?

·
  • sven,
    so it was more like a roast then, not the pink one? Mitch told me to get a cured ham and then smoke it, will give it a go.

·
  • Paul Kelly,
    I can't speak from experience with a BGE, but back in my Weber Kettle days, I'd use a 'green' (raw) butt or shoulder, cook with indirect heat, and use a s-l-o-w burn.
    So, if you use a ham that's already cooked, you end up with a ham that's already cooked. Microwaves are really faster.....JMHO.[p]Dick

·
  • BajaTomBajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Paul Kelly,
    If you want to do a fresh ham then you smoke to an internal temp of 150 to 160. It will taste more like pork roast then a cured ham. I like to inject the fresh ham with a maple & coke based mixture. Roast indirect at 325 to the 150 internal. I geta nice bone in ham to smoke. Good luck, Tom

·