Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thinking About A Small Egg

Rascal
Rascal Posts: 3,923
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey All, I thinking about buying a small for up north and wondered if it has the capacity to do a long, slow cook for something like a butt roast. Also, is there a cooking grid extender available for it, or a way to cook more than one rack of ribs? The reason for the small is so I can take it along when I visit my family and hopefully convince them to buy one. TIA![p]Rascal

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Rascal,
    there's a platesetter available...
    haven't done a butt, but have done ribs for 6 hours or so, on a single load of lump. it would likely be a boston butt (squarer) rather than an big picnic shoulder. you could take out the fire ring maybe, but that would lessen the lump volume (and potential cook time). [p]when i first got it, i had no issue getting to sear temps, but the past year or so have defaulted back to using the large, because it seemed to get to sear temps below. i think i just overlooked that i was using different lump, and being lazy about cleaning ash. see my post below if you want, but essentially, fresh cheap (light, low density) lump, and i was searing quickly like i remembered it could. [p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Rascal
    stike, Thank you for your feedback! I'm just wondering if I'd be frustrated with trying to do the kinds of cooks (not necessary size) that I've grown accustomed to on my Lg. In other words, would a 'small' hold enough lump to do a long, slow cook of an 8# pork butt. I know that many here use them for quick meals which might include steaks, burgers, chicken, hors d'oeuvres etc. I'd consider a medium but I'm not sure I'd be able to move it on my own.[p]Rascal

• stike
    Rascal,
    if you had a decent sized boston butt, i don't see why you couldn't go 16 hours or more on a full load. someone here will chime in...

• Rascal, we added a small for the same reasons. An extended grid is offered for this size, and Eggaccessories can make a woo2 ring. I have the ring and a spider for the large (these are very well made), and need to order one for the small, as well. Two slabs of ribs, cut in half, barely fits on our small egg. They have cooked for 6-7 hours on one load of lump, with plenty left over.

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Rascal,[p]I'll give my 2 cents worth. I struggled with the choice between the medium and small to complement the large. I weighed it in my mind and went to the mothership and looked at them side by side at least 3-4 times before I chose the medium.[p]I ultimately made my choice based on the fact that the medium can cook almost anything I would normally do on the large. And it does. I use the medium at least 3 times as often as the large now. Of course, this applies to the small as well, but I can fit a couple more burgers, steaks, etc. on the medium. Ribs fit better, and I can do 2 good sized butts, a decent size brisket, and a nice big standing rib roast on the medium. Again, this is only my opinion.[p]The interchangeability of some accessories played a part. The draft door for my guru fits both. The BGE extended grid fits both.[p]The weight difference isn't that big a deal. Take out the fire ring and the medium is very manageable by yourself.[p]My recommendation is to go to a store that has them both side by side and envision yourself cooking on them both. This may help you make up your mind.
  • Rascal
    You all sure have given me a lot to think about! I had a feelin' it might be best to ask a few questions before diving in! Perhaps, in my situation, I'll be happier in the long run with a 'medium'. 8 - )[p]Rascal

• stike,
    I've gone overnight, 15 hours at 230 with a normal set up. Cooked a 6 lb picnic shoulder. The internal hit 190 and I pulled it out at that point cause the dome temp was starting to drop. I think the temp was dropping due to ash blocking the vents as opposed to running out of lump, there were a few chunks left.

• Rascal,[p]When we moved recently to temporary accommadations I took the large and medium. I haven't tried traveling with the medium but there is not much of a weight difference. IMHO that is the best combination of advantages.[p]Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Rascal,
    I have a small and I got it so I could move it around. I can move my large by myself but I sure wouldn’t want to do it very often. Do you just want to be able to move it?, or do you want it to be portable? The small weighs 65 pounds and that’s about all I want for moving around on a regular basis. He medium weighs 95 pounds. IMHO that’s too much to take camping or tailgating or something like that.[p]If you are going to move it often get the small and work around the size issues.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    Rascal,
    i think the small makes a great second egg, but the large is still my first choice, its the large i bring camping. with good long burning lump in the small i think you would be fine, you could always cut the butt in half to shave some hours off it.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    egghead2004,
    good to know. i take the small on vacation, but usually for steaks and ribs. would be nice to do a butt

• HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Rascal,
    I bought extenders from grate mates. It was the deluxe package. Two different heights and a round thing to fit a drip pan.

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Rascal,[p]The small is a fantastic little cooker and will do everything that a large will do, with the exception of large cuts (say a turkey, for instance - you can do a large turkey breast, but wouldn't be able to do a 20 lb bird).[p]The largest butt I've done on it was an 8 lb'er when we were on a camping trip. It went 16 hrs on one load of lump, to the firering.[p]You can get a small platesetter from the mothership, so can do both hot/fast and low/slow. [p]The small is a great option...[p]Tonia
    :~)