Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken parts on the LBGE

Beanie-Bean
Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
<a href=IMG_8816.jpg</a>">
<p />Some chicken thighs from Sunday's cook. Used Dizzy Pig Tsunami Spin and some Veri Veri Teryaki sauce at the end. Felt gasket is still intact after just over a month of cooking on the egg.[p]IMG_8819.jpg[p]Another view on the cooker.[p]IMG_8823.jpg[p]Just pulled from the grill. Will be doing another cook later this evening after work.[p]Happy egging,[p]-Mike[p]

Comments

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Beanie-Bean, Nice! They could make the "Colonel" take notice! 8 - )[p]Rascal

• Beanie-Bean,
    Chicken thighs are the best I think on any smoker. Do you use and wood chunks or chips when your cook chicken. Being new the the EGG I cooked some chicken and put in a chunk of mesquite, like I do on my commercial cooker, but on the EGG it was too much smoke. The chicken was bitter, as a result or too much smoke. Need some advice on how much wood to use with the Egg.

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    captaindcb,[p]With chicken use little or no additional wood for smoking. The lump will add enough smoke flavor. Then experiment up from there to see what you like. Also, avoid hickory or mesquite with poultry and fish - lean more toward apple, cherry, and pecan for lighter sweeter flavors.[p]Bitter flavor is usually a result of putting the food on too early. Never put on food while white smoke is billowing from the top. Wait until it clears - usually 20 minutes or more - and you'll be in better shape. More visible smoke does not equal better smoke flavor.
  • Fidel
    Beanie-Bean,[p]Awesome photos. Great camera work.
  • Beanie-Bean
    captaindcb,[p]Well, smoking woods on the egg is something I'm still trying to figure out. I came from the Weber Kettle school, and have pretty much carried my soaked chips method over, in addition to trying techniques presented on the forum.[p]I've tried chunks, chips, soaked, and dry. Even the charcoal imparts a bit of flavor.[p]Here is my opinion: I like a blend of woods (hickory and apple) for pork and chicken, and Jack Daniel's oak or mesquite for beef.
  • Fidel,
    I find that a very small dose of hickory works well with chicken, but we all have our own taste. I do agree with you about letting the lump burn clean before putting the food into the Egg.[p]

• Beanie-Bean
    Fidel,[p]Thanks for the comments. I'm using my trusty Canon Rebel XT, which has been in service for a few years now, and it is paired with a 28-135mm image-stabilizer lens.[p]-Mike

• Fidel
    egghead2004,[p]I agree, but the OP was explaining that he had too much smoke and a bitter flavor. That is why I suggested staying away from hickory with chicken.[p]To each his own - we all find what we like and go with it.
  • Fidel/
    I agree, heavy smoke comming out of any cooker doesn't mean better taste. Just a wshisper of smoke workes the best. I have a mixture of chips that I get from Chigger Creek which is there Sweet and Smokey blend(Apple, Maple, Pear, Cherry and Peach.) This workes well on most anything.