Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How many butts?

jonesey
jonesey Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A friend asked if my son and I could cook up some butts on the egg for her upcoming Christmas party. She is going to have around 30 people. I have an XL. Any idea on how many butts I would need to cook for 30 folks? My wife says at least five big ones but she always has way too much food. Thanks in advance for the help.

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Jonesey,[p]Depends how you are going to serve it and how many other dishes. If the PP is the main affair, I would say four 7-8 pounders would deliver plenty. Roughly 30 pounds raw would give you 18 pounds (or so) of finished product.
  • uncbbq
    uncbbq Posts: 165
    Jonesey,
    I can't find it in the archives, but there's an Excel spreadsheet that will figure this for you for any sized group. Here's Wise One's take on it. If you find the link to the spreadsheet, please post it.[p]posted by Wise One on May 22, 2002 at 09:25:10:[p]In Reply to: How much Boston Butt do I need? posted by Byrdo on May 22, 2002 at 07:24:09:[p]Byrdo, Here's something someone gave me some time ago:
    HOW MUCH MEAT?
    For pulled pork, a typical sandwich (or serving) is 4 oz of cooked meat. For adult males, you might want to plan on 2 sandwiches per person. For women and children, plan on one sandwich per person. The average butt loses about 40% of its weight while cooking. So, to get 6 pounds of cooked pork (24 sandwiches) you would need to start with 10 pounds of butt (2.4 servings per LB of uncooked meat). So a simple little formula is all you need:
    Number of men (men or large eaters)= M
    Number of women and children (lighter eaters)= W
    Pounds of Butt to buy = B
    B=(2M+W)/2.4
    So if there 5 men and 5 women,
    B=(2*5+5)/2.4 =15/2.4 = 6.25 Pounds[p]

• Fidel,[p]Great......thanks for the responses.
  • Jonesey,
    3 butts will handle it, 4 if you have some big big eaters. I fed 37 homeless women with about 3.5 butts, and they were hungry![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    uncbbq, ah before I read to deep into your answer, can you tell me.......will I need my toes. If so, that may be a problem as they are.....at the present time...... a little hard to see and reach.......if you get my drift!

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • tjv
    Jonesey, heck it were me I'd load that bad boy (xl) up and have a couple extra butts divided, vacuum sealed and stashed away for doggy bags to go. With simple instruction, boil water and warm in bag. Nice touch around XMAS.[p]Man I need to get me one of them xls. T

• tjv,[p]Please clarify --[p]re you saying that as you're reaching for your toes, you're showing us just how much butt we'll need?[p]:)[p]~ B[p]
  • uncbbq
    uncbbq Posts: 165
    tjv,
    Hey, I'm just passing on the formula. I use the TLAR (that looks about right) method myself, always erring on the side of plenty of leftovers.

• Jonesey,
    I do some BBR catering and over the years i have found that between 0.65# and 0.7# of RAW butt (bone in)will be a good guide line. 30 x say .7 = 21# and if the butts are 8# each 3 butts would do it, but if I was doing it I would do 4 butts so there would be some left over.

• tjv,
    Good point! Might as well load it up since I'm doing it anyway.

• tjv
    Broc, just across the Muddy Mo from Omaha, you crack me up with bending over.........ugly mental picture ain't it!

• captaindcb,
    Thanks a bunch. Sounds like 4 butts will be the number.